Best LCD Flat Panel Monitor

SPeedY_B said:
Is it not LG Philips, the same as the Apple Cinema Display ?
Yep. I'm not sure about the 2405FPW yet though. I'm hearing speculations that it's a Samsung panel.

LOL its made by LG I missed that part...
I like my 19" planar...
but its sloooow
at just over 20ms

NetRyder said:
Yep. I'm not sure about the 2405FPW yet though. I'm hearing speculations that it's a Samsung panel.
Aye, tis a Samsung. Still waiting for some bloody indication of pricing in the UK, yes, I'm inpatient, however I just know we're going to get dicked with the cost of this thing :/

thanks net, hmm well im not ganna buy a screen anytime soon so i bet there will be newer/better models so ill just shut up for now except drool over them

themafia.69 said:
thanks net, hmm well im not ganna buy a screen anytime soon so i bet there will be newer/better models so ill just shut up for now except drool over them
They just keep getting better. ;)

Yeah. I'm waiting until mid 2005, to order one or possibly just set up a dual 19" as I already have an Ultrasharp 19". It's a great monitor. It's one thing Dell can be proud of is buying those from places.

* Native Resolution: 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA+) @ 60Hz2
* Response Time (typical): 12ms grey-to-grey3, 16ms black-to-white
* Contrast Ratio: 1,000:1
* Brightness (typical): 500 cd/m²
* Aspect Ratio: 16:10
* Number of Colors: 16.7 Million
* Horizontal/Vertical Viewing Angle (typical): +/-89 degrees
* Lift distance: 3.5 inches
* Tilt angle: -5 to +20 degrees
* Swivel: 90 degrees (45 degrees left and right)
* Memory Card Formats Supported: CompactFlash I/II, Secure Digital (SD), Mini SD, MultiMedia Card, SmartMedia, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, IBM Microdrive
* Inputs: Analog (VGA)/Digital (DVI)5/S-Video/Composite/Component
* Dimensions (HxWxD): 21.5" x 22.0" x 9.0"
* Weight: 29.1 lb.

Attachments

• dell24.jpg
    dell24.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 101
VERY nice monitor, but whats the base cost on this Bad boy??

$1199 in the U.S., unconfirmed anywhere else. We actually have a thread about it already.

I myself am thinking of taking the road to LCDs. I have had my eye on this one:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr..._id=0665000FS10047018&catid=22334&newdeptid=1

A friend has it and it looks awesome, altho I am not a LCD expert and neither is he. Only thint I kno is the lower the response time the better.

Also,
There's this one as well (which isnt listed on BENQs site and has the same specs as the one above, not sure if there the same with a diff number)

BenQ FP937-D 19" LCD DVI *after $50 M-I-R $475\
http://www.canadacomputers.com/monitors.html#lcd

the question you need to ask yourself is which resoultion are you likely to use most and find the lcd's that provide that native, from that list narrow it down to 16ms or faster response time, then from those see which is within your budget.

THe post those in your final short list here and you'll get advice and based on that advice and if possible seeing each in person you will be able to make up your mind.

However I'd say to just take a plunge and go for the Dell 2001FP as its under $500 if you get the right vouchers

LordOfLA said:
the question you need to ask yourself is which resoultion are you likely to use most and find the lcd's that provide that native, from that list narrow it down to 16ms or faster response time, then from those see which is within your budget.

THe post those in your final short list here and you'll get advice and based on that advice and if possible seeing each in person you will be able to make up your mind.

However I'd say to just take a plunge and go for the Dell 2001FP as its under $500 if you get the right vouchers

Well that LCD is $939 CDN, which is way over my limit. Don't get me wrong, its very nice but too $$$.

I also plan on using 1280x1024 resolution.

Ok, I like this monitor, but guys... it is NOT a gaming monitor no matter how you slice it. The claims that this monitor gets 16ms are VERY exaggerated. maybe if it is going from grey to white, maybe even grey to grey, It is NOT however making a round trip Black to white Cycle.... The best 17" monitors on the market have barely broken this sacred ground.. dont take my word for it... Here are 2 reads:
Toms: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20040609/lcd_review-02.html
"While it has specs that you can only dream of, the 2001FP is not a gamer's monitor. The afterglow is too visible. To get an idea, it's worse than monitors based on TN + Films, and these are often considered low-end products. Most MVA monitors, although 25 ms, also have a lower afterglow. At best, you can entertain the idea of a few slower games from time to time. Forget about FPS championship training on this."

or... and this is someone who likes the monitor: "
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=1918&p=9
Halo - We had some mixed feelings while playing Halo. Granted, we spend a lot of time playing Halo on DLP screens via component input (XBox of course). There is a noticeable difference between playing Halo on a CRT and on an LCD. For probably 2/3 of the games we play, pixel blur is not noticeable; but on a game like Halo, it is. We suspect this is due to the larger amounts of gray-to-gray (and gray-to-black) transitions. Below, you can see where our camera captured some blur"

Like LordOfLA has asked many times before what are you going to use it for?

If you use it for shooter games like Halo2 or UT2004 AND I DO ... this AINT your monitor... if you dont use gaming with alot of shading and color changes.. it might be...
If someone gets this monitor and is a die hard shooter player.. Please let me know I would like to know how big a difference do you see.... Im praying for the day when LCDs find a standard for their response times, til then.. we are at the mercy of the testers and how lax they are with HOW they test them, good luck all!

THG dont know ****e honestly :D

The Dell 2001FP is most capable of playing games. Driving sims, rpgs, fps's there is no visible ghosting. Infact the 2001FP has earned the reputation fo the first gamers lcd panel on earth.

If you are near london or can get to london for a sunday evening you can come see mine in action, just bring a copy of what you want to test.

FinallY, 2405FPW is Ready to Go in US..after a long time..It would be something Gr8 to use the built in 9-In-1 Memory Card Reader.

widescreen monitors suck for gaming. there arent many games i can think of that were developed with 16/9 aspect in mind. I hooked my computer upto my samsung 46inch lcd television with 12ms response time and games look all out of whack.

uhm dont tell the tv to auto-stretch :p a widescreen monitor wont autostretch so you'll get the black bars down the side if the game doesnt support widescreen

LordOfLA said:
uhm dont tell the tv to auto-stretch :p a widescreen monitor wont autostretch so you'll get the black bars down the side if the game doesnt support widescreen

well im just saying ..whats the point of having that widescreen monitor? youre gonna have to black lines on the both sides of the screen... 4:3 ratio monitors are still the way to go until games begin to take advantage of 16/9.

if you get a widescreen save it for dvd's and hdtv...they are worthless for anything else.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back