Best Hard Drive Performance Increase

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wessleym, Jul 5, 2004.

1. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

What is the best way to increase performance on the storage side? I know buying two Western Digital Raptors and installing them in RAID 0 would probably be the best, but its pretty expensive.
    I also know you can get PATA-SATA adapters. Could I put two adapted PATA drives in RAID 0?
    I know of some less expensive SATA drives I could put in RAID 0 also. Would it be worth the money?
    How would one Western Digital Raptor work, not being in a RAID 0?
    Please give me your ideas. Thanks.

2. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

you need 2 generally identical drives to install a striped RAID setup...

striping is not bad and will increase general performance especially for apps that need to seek quite a bit, some games do that...

the amount of the increase was not something I was all that happy with with my hdd's so I just had em on their separate channels and operate them thus :)

I would recommend something with a decent cache :) that DOES help (in my experience anyways)

if you are looking for raw speed, a raptor will help, striped or not... 7200rpm drives are pretty good and 5400 drives are excellent if you want to keep noise levels down... overall drop in performance is not quite as big as you would think in real life, synthetic benches paint a different story though :cool:

personally I consider data storage space a bigger priority than speed hence I would probably go with a larger/"slower" drive... if you seek ultimate speed (even if its not by much) feel free to get the raptor :)

3. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

The 5400rpm drives also appear to be more reliable.

4. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

So would a couple SATA drives in a RAID 0 with 72,000 RPM's be faster than a single Western Digital Raptor?

5. Kush

Kush High On Life!

there isnt drives with 72,000 rpm its 7,200

6. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

Yeah, sorry. Typo. You could have answered the question, though. Would a couple SATA drives in a RAID 0 with 7,200 RPM's be faster than a single Western Digital Raptor?

7. dreamliner77

I want the 72k rpm drives. Imagine the performance...

8. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

Can somebody please just tell me if a couple SATA drives in a RAID 0 with 7,200 RPM's be faster than a single Western Digital Raptor?!

9. dreamliner77

Generally, yes. But it depends on more than just the drives.