Best Free Hard Drive Eraser

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Capricorn, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Capricorn

Capricorn OSNN Senior Addict

Any suggestions for the best Free hard drive eraser. Something that will boot from a floppy and overwrite a hard drive with zeros

2. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I think you would be better off with a tool from your harddrive manufacturer that allows a low level format, the deepest format possible. Contact your manufacturer for such a tool, not every brand has one.

3. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

4. Capricorn

Capricorn OSNN Senior Addict

Thanks Guys. I have used the drive manufacturers software, but it only overwrites once. Similar thing with Killdisk, the free version only overwrites once. The Pro version can overwrite several times. I have friends who like to completely clean their drives before passing older computers on, and I thought I might have found a good cleaner to use on their machines.

5. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

It might be best to completely destroy the drive by going to a car demolisher guy who has a huge magnet to lift cars with. Especially if there is important or sensitive data on it, it's best not to sell it.

6. Kush

Kush High On Life!

get hirens boot cd it has many utils and applications and im sure one of them does that