Best Free Antivirus Software

ste_w

OSNN Senior Addict
Hey Wats the Best Free Antivirus Software? Anything Better Than AVG Out there, that does Deep File Scanning etc?

Thanx

Ste_W

Yes ............ been using Avast for 2.5 years.

This is a Czech website, but in English... www.avast.com.

Also has a separate small prog with all the fixes for all recent virus' in one program, unlike Symantec where you have to download each one separately.

My sister has AVG. Her PC quit working. She could

not even turn it off. She took it to a repair shop.

They said she had a lot of viruses, spyware and

something was wrong with 1 of her drivers.

I read that AVG only catches 50% of the viruses.

Norton only catches 75% of the viruses.

Actually both those stats are wrong. Your right that AVG has significantly lower detection rates than NAV. In the most complex tests NAV will catch over 95% of items, in the last test I read AVG scored about 60%

In a more simple test AVG scored 100% (As did NAV as all major vendors) this test was reflective of the kind of viruses end users are going to face.

AVG will score less when tackling spyware/adware (thats because unlike NAV it doesn't detect it), packed malware and none windows viruses (which you wouldnt really expect AVG to care about much since its only for the windows platform)

I find that when people say they got like loads of viruses and their computer is cream crackered, they don't configure their AV right, don't download updates, mess around installing too much crap.

I was wondering Veronica do you and your sister use P2P?

Lee said:
I find that when people say they got like loads of viruses and their computer is cream crackered, they don't configure their AV right, don't download updates, mess around installing too much crap.

I was wondering Veronica do you and your sister use P2P?
I use Kazaa Lite, Winmx and Bittorent. I used the default settings for AVG. I got

all the windows and anti-virus updates. I now use Avast. I use the default

settings for AVG and now Avast.

My sister does not use any P2P. She does not get the windows updates. She

gets the AVG updates. She uses the default settings for AVG.

Thank you all for replying.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back