Best FPS of 2004

Best FPS of 2004? (was alphabetical originally!)

• Call of Duty: United Offensive Addon

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Counter-strike: Condition Zero

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Deus Ex 2

• Doom III

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • FarCry

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • Half-life 2

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • Halo 2

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Painkiller: Battle out of Hell

• Raven Shield: Athena Sword

• Unreal Tournament 2004

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • Battlefield Vietnam

• Total voters
UT2K4 was my favourite multiplayer - so much fun, and I'm only talking about the demo! :)

Far Cry I loved for the lush jungle environment - It wasn't photo-realistic but it was downright fun, the fact that the soldiers spoke amongst themselves was a nice touch too. Doom 3 was upsetting - it was just too dark for me to enjoy. Atmospheric? Oh yes, but not very playable in my opinion. Stumbling around in blindness was done right in Silent Hill (1), but not Doom.

I guess I have to give it to Half Life 2 - the abandoned highway 17 and Ravenholm took me aback the first time I played 'em.

Haven't played all the games (haven't had a chance to play hl2. Not sure if it's all hype yet) played all the others, i was most impressed by Far Cry actually, although very close was UT2k4, that games amazing for LAN parties

half life 2 adds a few different dimensions to game play...

the characters you play with are kewl but the vehicles and their usage... and the physics engine employed are absolutely spectacular...

even with all teh bugs that are STILL present, the game is wonderful... :)

Based only on what I've played, Halo 2.

Based on everyone elses opinion, Half Life 2 :p

I voted for Halo 2 though.

Edit: Perhaps you should link this thread, and the poll to the frontpage so we get more votes?

Well for me its a tough call

I bought and own HL2 , Farcry , Doom 3 , And UT2004 each has its own merits and all are fine games. But for me it was down to HL2 and Farcry I voted HL2 I find it an amazing all around game.

Anyone who knows me or is in the chatroom often know's my answer. HL2 all the way. UT2004 was great when it came out, but HL2 takes the cake. and mooo, the comment about HL2 lacking in mods so far.... it doesn't take a month to make a full out mod from scratch. it's gonna take some time, but there WILL be awesome mods for HL2 coming out. Adrenaline Gamer 2 for one. Rocket Crowbar as well. only two i can think of at this very second.

I have to give my vote to Far Cry. The vehicles to me were above HL2 and the game was just all around better to me. I was pretty annoyed with having to drive for 10 minutes, kill a few guys, then get back in the car and drive for another 10 minutes, and then kill some more guys and get back in the car like I was in HL2.

I also want a game that takes me more time to finish than it took for me to finish HL2.

It also seemed to me that Far Cry creeped out of a corner and took the gaming world over while we waited and waited and waited...you get the point...for the other big games.

Doom 3 was horribly monotonous. HL2 was all about physics and the grav gun. I guess my vote went to Far Cry because I have less complaints and enjoyed it the most

Ya know.. I am a Hardcore HL2 fan, been waiting since the day it was annoynced through delays and the drama. But I am split between HL2 and FC. Tuffgong4 made a great point about coming out of nowhere. I personanlly knew about a year before it came out, but for the most part nobody else really knew about it. So I must give Crytek props for that. But overall... HL2 had the BEST atmosphere and storytelling experince to date. And that imho makes it the best game this year. My Vote : Half-Life 2.

My vote goes with HL2. I'm quite surprised Chronicles of Riddick isn't on the list. Another game to be added to "best games no one has played".

thought that was third person :)
might have to get a copy later to check :D (even tho I have it on the xbox, xbox just can't do fps :s)

i would have said halo 2 but the online play sucks a lot of the time (laaaaaaaaaaaaag) so i went with half life 2...altho hl2 multiplayer is cs (meh) and hl2 deathmatch is just poo.

oh the humanity! why why do you not like battlefield vietnam it is like the best game!
oh i am so buying it enough of internet cafes!

I was really disappointed with it.
layout was great and tho its not my scene, the music is quite funky.
models were just shocking tho

And battlefield vietname is already on the list at the bottom

For me it was Farcry still not quite finished HL2 (and never gonna finish doom3) HL2 hands down by far the best apperance and run sooo much better than the other two. But i dunno i think i just enjoyed farcry more the guns were better IMHO, same with the vehicals also liked the idea of a jungle and the way the layout of the islands etc worked just added up to me. Plus you can zoom on the guns in farcry :p

i didn't like vietnam for the movement. I know its more lifelike, but i like to be able just flow and that game didn't have it very well..

i voted for half life 2 but in playing the second campaign for painkiller... god its fun.. just shoot shoot shoot

Far Cry, Doom III, Half Life 2 and CS: Source are all fantastic games. But I can't bring myself to choose just one and claim it as being the best. They all had different genres and strength.

Far Cry: This game was excellent because it felt like stepping into Rambo's shoes. Throwing rocks to distract guys was my favorite part of that whole game. Far Cry in my opinion had the best AI of this year's FPS'.

Doom II: Quite honestly I think this game should have been set in a mansion and been called: The Real Resident Evil. This game scared the crap out of me all the way through (I will never play this game while I'm high ever again). The flashlight was definitely my favorite part of this game.

Half-Life 2: This game was fantastic graphically, but I personally don't think the gameplay itself is comaparable to the others on this list. But I'll be damned if I didn't spend hours just chucking stuff around with that gravity gun.

CS: Source: This game is excellent because the infinite (IMHO) replayability. No two games are ever alike. Playing against real opponents is so much greater than playing against AI anyday. Although I was never a big fan of the Unreal or Quake franchises, I am hopelessly addicted to this game.

And that folks is my two cents on this year's FPS' (that I played).

thekore said:
the MOH series is great, but i have never played pacific sun so i dont know how it rates. :p

Been playing Medal of honour pacific assult this week and have enjoyed it, except it annoys the hell out of me when you die and have to wait to either get saved or killed, other than that thumbs up

there are no Chrome suggestions ? .. dissapointed :lick:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back