Best Dual Layer DVD Burners

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Leaderz0rz, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Leaderz0rz

Leaderz0rz Wee

What is the best duel layer DVD burner that can burn duel layer dvd discs, regular dvd discs and cdrws? and can you read duel layer dvd discs in a single layer dvd drive?

2. ZeroHour

ZeroHour ho3 ho3 ho3

Here is a good one http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NEC-ND3500
    Cheap too
    Its also avalible in black.
    As for the Dual disc question, it really varies but I heard around 50% of dvd players/drives could read them but it could depend alot on the disc quality and other factors.
    hope this helps

3. DwarfData

DwarfData OSNN Addict

I bought one of these last week Pioneer 108
    I've not used it as a dual layer writer yet. My old Sony Writer died so I had to get a new one. This came highly recommended. I've been burning at 12x on bulk 4x media with out a problem.

4. dick471

dick471 OSNN Junior Addict

Dual Layer Burner

I've been using the Pioneer 108 ($71.00 Newegg) and it works perfect. I've only used Ridata 2.4X DL media sofar. Matrix Revolutions burned perfect!

5. Bought one of these just a few days ago, haven't had a chance to use it yet, but will test it soon. Once I've given it a few goes I'll give a mini review if you like :)

6. breezie

breezie OSNN Addict

i vote for the NEC 3500 in terms of value and performance!

7. yuppers NEC 3500, or you can get a single layer NEC dvd burner like the one themafia has and update it's firmware to be dual layer

8. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

yup NEC 3500 is the best!!!!! and NEC 2510(#'s could be mixed up) is 2nd best. very affordable too! well atleast t he dvd burner is, may not the actual double layer discs lol

9. Kush

Kush High On Life!

nec 3500 is the best, any of the nec are the best compared to any other brand (yes even pioneer) i talk with the people who write the firmware for them and every nec that came out they top rated it

10. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

HMMmmm well I have the NEC 3500 - not to be the best, but because it was in my budget and good....

HOWEVER I have heard plextor make the best if price is no object and speed is your need.....

11. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Dunno why everyone raves about the nec 3500 its crap compared to the pioneer 108 and the LG 4160 (which I have in black).

So there you have it. Choose between the Pioneer 108 or the LG 4160

12. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/716A.htm

You won't find a better one than this, and I've never had a coaster. Plextor is excellent when it comes to compatibility, and has regular firmware updates to accomodate changes in media.

Melon

13. Leaderz0rz

Leaderz0rz Wee

well i purchased the plextor one, what media would you suggest? i usaly go with memorex, but i dunno if they make duel layer?