Best disk defragment program for XP

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by xenohawk, May 1, 2002.

1. xenohawk

xenohawk Guest

Which is the best disk defragment ultilities for XP? The current build in one was very slow although faster than Win9x version.

2. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

the built in defragger in xp is a stripped down version of executive software's diskkeeper. The full version has many options and is a good defragger. its only slow the first couple of time that you do it. if you defrag reguarly it will finish in a few minutes.

3. DoubleClick

DoubleClick Guest

I'm a Norton Speed Disk user, I set it on a schedule and leave it and I have never had a problem. I tried Diskkeeper but I found Norton a bit better in my opinion.

4. nick1gbr

nick1gbr Guest

i use diskeeper 7, its reliable, and the set and forget option is great...... its slow for the first few times but its a very good piece of kit, readily availible on the net (so i'm told)......

--Nick--

5. lelu

lelu Guest

I ran defragment for the first time when my computer was 4 months old and it only took about 15 min to complete.
    Seems plenty fast to me.

XP scan disk (chkdsk) is where there is a problem.
    The only problem I have found in XP.

6. rhenk

rhenk Guest

The best one (in my opinion) is PerfectDisk 2000. It's the only one that defragments all of the files (paging file, system files, etc...). It's fast, and it works great. If not, the second best in my opinion is Diskeeper. It works great, but the only problem is that it does not defragment all the files.

Perfectdisk2000 www.raxcosoftware.com (i think that's the correct link).

7. drthv8r

drthv8r Guest

I like a program called VoptXP, for me it works better then Diskeeper 7.

8. purush

purush Guest

Lelu You have my dream machine there

Your Dell dimension series with 21" Dell trinitron monitor with RDRAM is the most powerful machine. Is it in Black ? if so it must be fantastic. Is it pricey ?

9. lelu

lelu Guest

Re: Lelu You have my dream machine there

Thanks

Yes, it is black. My 5 year old IBM is black, might have bought a Dell back then but Dell didn't offer black.

I really like it. Been a perfect machine up until I ran chkdsk (scan disk). It was 5 months old, froze for the first time. No other problems.

I gave $2280, tax, title, tags........ and shipping. :)

My old IBM with a 17" monitor was $3200. :(

10. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Norton Speed Disk included with SystemWorks 2002.

yeah, that's it.

11. Xooro

Xooro Guest

Also check out this defragment program:

O&O Defrag V4
    http://www.oo-software.com/

its fast, xp compatible and recommend by many ppl.

12. xenohawk

xenohawk Guest

hi, I've just tried out the O&O Defrag V4 and the Diskeeper 7.
    It seems to be quite slow at start for both of them. The O&O Defrag V4 have so many defrag method, so how do I know which one is good for my HDD?

13. BOBbagels

BOBbagels Guest

I use Perfect Disc 2000 and love it.
    My second choice would be Vopt.