best defragmenter?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ihav0frnds, Jul 29, 2002.

1. ihav0frnds

ihav0frnds Guest

i'd like to see user's opinion on best defragger. right now i use norton utilites speedisk to defrag which i heard is pretty good. but, are there any other ones taht are better? and please support your opinion with some solid facts :)

2. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

As I recall, there is a thread on that very same topic. (By the way, I use SpeedDisk also):)

3. A1CPittman

A1CPittman Guest

Best Windows Defragmenter

Good Question...I am currently using Norton Speed Disk as well, and I seem to get pretty good performance out of the speed of my hard drives. The only question that I have on top of your is, how come my original windows defragmenter thinks that my C:\ drive actually needs to be defragmented after I use NSD? I think it's just stupid.

4. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

I'd say go for diskeeper 7. It's faster at defraging your hard drive and you get damn good performance out of it.

5. ihav0frnds

ihav0frnds Guest

ne one have any proof of their claims?

6. Sage

Sage Guest

7. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

8. Gokou

Gokou Guest

Ya I've tried them all too. I also prefer Perfect Disk 2000. I really think that when it all come's down to a defragmenter it's just personal choice. Their all pretty damn good defragger's. I like Perfect Disk because it uses a method of smart defragmentation. So files that aren't used as much get pushed back to the end of the disk and the frequently modified ones are kept at the top. You also get to set an age limit to determine which files get used the most. (I.E. frequently modifed files = 15days)

9. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Welcome to XP-erience ihav0frnds :)

As SnookBooger pointed out, there are several threads on this subject already. Just click the Search button on the top of this page and search for "defragment" or something similar. You WILL find more than one thread.

10. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

*snore snore*

11. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Go SpeedDisk. I consistently chatter the 1200 hard drive mark at Madonion running a 7200 RPM - IBM GXP120.:D

12. theone1

theone1 Guest

the same as Ontrack JetDefrag,with Intellicluster Data Collection.
    Comes with System Suite,the only system suite you need! :D

A1CPittman,windows defragmenter never used to report that my hard drive needed to be defragmented after I used NSD.

13. ihav0frnds

ihav0frnds Guest

um, i still don't see a superior one. they all seem to be about the same? correct me if i'm wrong.

14. tibpol

tibpol Guest

15. Gokou

Gokou Guest

Thanx theone1, the Suite Looks pretty interesting. Might give it a try one day.

16. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

You guys just crack me up when you post your PC "specs"
    It reminds me of when we use to run our "sooped" up cars downtown on the "loop" and we'd pull over and pop the hood of our cars and show our engines. "Wooooooo"
    Anyway I'd list my specs but I can't find the mouse that turns the wheel in back of this thing to tell you what color it is!

:eek: Any of these defrag programs freeware. I had FixIt 4.0 and it had a defrag program similar to what Gokou describes. However it actually ran things slower on my pc.. peace out!

I found my specs!!

"intel celery 500
    -40 gigs of soft drive
    one mouse that keeps the motor running
    20 carrots of megabarks
    1500 cc's of fuel injected liquid cooled nitrogen
    and a partridge in a pair tree..

17. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

go to the last post on great free programs

18. Perris Calderon

catch...try the free one I posted

19. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

I wana get a GeForce4 Ti4600 sooo bad! How much fps do u guys get if u run those GeForce4 Ti on UT, MOHAA, and CS? How much is your 3D Benchmarking if u run a Geforce4 Ti 4600?

20. Perris Calderon

free is good...I like free

great free defrag...located here