Best Computer Setup?

V

VWW

Hey everyone!
I've just upgraded my computer and was wondering what you guys thought the best setup for it would be hardware-wise. The motherboard supports RAID and i have had no experience with that at all so any suggestions/comments would be appreciated. My main concern is what configuration i should use to get the best performance out of all the IDE drives.

The new system:
Motherboard - Asus A7V8X (5.1 Channel Sound, 10/100 ethernet, AGP8x, Serial ATA, RAID, 2xFirewire, 3xDIMMs, 6xPCI, 6xUSB 2.0)
CPU - Athlon XP2100+
Video Card - Leadtek 128Mb Geforce4 Ti4200 A250 VIVO
RAM - Legend 512MB PC2700 333MHz
CD Burner - Liteon 48x40x12
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 30.6GB ATA66 7200rpm
HDD2 - Seagate Barracuda IV 80Gb ATA100 7200rpm
DVD Drive - Pioneer DVD-ROM 104 10x Slot
Case - AOpen H600A Super Midi Tower 300w

Thanks!

Put all three drives on separate cables as Master. The DVD can't sit on the RAID controller so I suggest you put it on IDE2 (Secondary). Put your system drive on IDE1 (Primary) and the other on IDE3 (first RAID).

I agree with Zedric; doing that should make it tip top performance.

3 drives? i count 4. put your:

dvd as primary [ide1] master (e:)
burner as secondary [ide2] master (f:)
hdd1 as raid primary [ide3] master (this will be your system drive, c:)
hdd2 as raid secondary [ide4] master (d:)

this way each drive has it's own bandwidth and isn't slowed down by slaves. this is the exact same setup i have going.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back