Best Cable Modem to buy?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by wingman411, Jul 15, 2004.

1. wingman411

wingman411 OSNN Senior Addict

I am switching from DSL to Cable (Comcast) and I am going to buy a modem instead of leasing thiers. I am intrested in which is the fastest and most stable. I looked at one from Motorola, one from Toshiba, and one from Best Data. I can give you the model #'s if you need them.

Thanks.

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I've used a Toshiba, a Motorola, and a Terayon cable modem so far. All of them were DOCSIS certified. Didn't ever notice any difference in speed. I doubt you can go wrong with any of them.
    Look for the one that has the features you need (some have a USB connection in addition to the regular RJ-45 port...if you need that), or the one you can get the best deal on.

3. wingman411

4. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Call me cheap, but I usually go for the one with the best O.E.M. software added!

5. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

I recently upgraded cable modems for latency reasons and I highly recommend the motorola surfboard modem. Nice little sleep button, usb capable, and it's docsis 2.0 compliant.

6. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

yes i would go with the one leedogg recommended. My friends uncle let me borrow his after i had to get ride of mine (i looked at naughty stuff) and it seemed to be alot better than this weird alien lookin one comcast let us lease.

7. wingman411

Thanks, I am buying the Motorola SB5100 that is docsis 2.0 compliant. It got excellent reviews.