Best Buy Calls 911 On Customer Asking For Refund

thanx for that retail return policy link

the guy telling this story is plain wrong no matter which polcy we read

this is directly from the retail store return policy;

so if this guy isn't a theif he's an idiot, that's all there is

my opinion, he's not an idiot he's a theif and I can think of no reason he saw fit to breach his contract unless he wanted to steal

Well the link also has at the bottom:

Policy may vary between stores and in Hawaii. See store for complete details.

And secondly, why oh why are you that adamant in thinking he is stealing the CD?

I have have instances of a defective item and due to the overall pain in the ass of dealing with the store of time wasted I want my money refunded to me. I would rather go somewhere else and by the item from them. And yes it could be a bit more in cost but I don't do business with the store in question again.

Consumers have rights you know. But many of these big chain stores spit on the consumer and make it a living hell to get refunds or even exchanges.

Think of this. BB in it's refund policy has:

Refund method
Refund will be in the same form as original purchase. Exceptions: Cash, debit or check purchases over $250 will be refunded in the form of a mail check within 10 business days of return.

So you go in on a Saturday morning and buy a Xbox 360. You pay cash for the Xbox. You get it home which is 6 miles away. You take it out of the box and set it all up only to find that it's DOA. So now you have wasted all this time, so you go back to the store (it's now late afternoon) and wish to get another one. They have no more in stock. They won't have any more till next week Friday/Saturday. So you want your money back. You want to go and get it somewhere else. They won't give you the cash. You have to wait for a mailed check which will take 10 business days. They were able to take your money without question but they make you wait 10 business days to get it back? How much frickin money do they have in the registers? What, they don't have the money? These chain stores got you by the short and curlies.

A customer should have a right to get their money back if they are dis-satisfied, but many many stores set up their return/exchange policies to make it as hard as possible for the consumer to do so. The store wants you to give up.

But as to this CD story, I'm still confused why you are so adamant as to this person is trying to steal it. Do you know people that go around with their computers ready to dupe CDs and then return them as defective? Ummmm, have you done this? But if you re-read the story he did ask them at Best Buy to check the CD and to verify the read/bad disk error, repeatedly. Now they could have checked/inspected it and seen if the disk was damaged in any way or that in fact the disk was a bad disk. Now if they had and found the disk to be bad, how is this person stealing? what did he do, copy a fudged up CD? I think not.

Any who, my 2 cents worth. :D

Last edited:
Consumers have rights you know. But many of these big chain stores spit on the consumer and make it a living hell to get refunds or even exchanges.

I agree with your point but that's not the case here, bb was very happy to give this consumer the exchange, no questions, no problems,bb was doing the right thing, the consumer was doing the wrong thing

chain stores aren't always wrong just as consumers aren't always right

everyone knows I'm the strongest advocate of consumer rights but consumers have obligations that goe with their rights, they have obligations becuase of their rights, obviously a corporations rights should never be as powerful as consumer rights but corporate rights exist never the less

there is no reason this consumer wouldn't accept a disc that worked for the one that didn't, none, software is so easy to copy it's a joke

he's entitled to what he purchased in proper working condition and that's it, he bought music, he opened the music and he's entitled to that specific music, not other music, not a credit

IF that music isn't available at the store THEN and ONLY then is he entitled to refund, he's entitlted to what he bought and that's the only obilgation from this distributer

Think of this. BB in it's refund policy has:
Policy may vary between stores and in Hawaii. See store for complete details.

it's not likely the store rescinded the following clear as day return policy is it;
Non-returnable items
Non-returnable items include labor and/or installation services; consumable items such as phone cards, food and drink; or items that are damaged or abused. Opened computer software, movies, music and video games can be exchanged for the identical item but cannot be returned for a refund.

if this branch did rescind that portion of the contract then this consumer is entitled to his money back of course, but we know the branche's position in this situration and we rest assured the store did not rescind that portion of the contract.

So you go in on a Saturday morning and buy a Xbox 360. You pay cash for the Xbox. You get it home which is 6 miles away. You take it out of the box and set it all up only to find that it's DOA. So now you have wasted all this time, so you go back to the store (it's now late afternoon) and wish to get another one. They have no more in stock. They won't have any more till next week Friday/Saturday. So you want your money back. You want to go and get it somewhere else. They won't give you the cash. You have to wait for a mailed check which will take 10 business days. They were able to take your money without question but they make you wait 10 business days to get it back? How much frickin money do they have in the registers? What, they don't have the money? These chain stores got you by the short and curlies.

once again I agree with your point, I believe that portion of the return policy is unreasonable and it probably wouldn't survive a court challenge, I think the court would throw that portion of the policy out, anyway I hope courts would throw it out if it were challenged

I'll even take this further;

in the particular scenario you just presented I beleive a branch manager would gladly rescind that protion of the return policy, most would be happy to give you a cash return so you could make your gift...any manager of worth would have no problem rescinding that the contract since this would not only be the right thing to do, it would also help insure a return customer.

in the case of the disc thoguh, that's a customer you don't want to return and there is no reason a manager would humor or encourage the consumer.

gonaads you have the wrong idea, I am NOT on the side of corporations I am on the side of consumers

gonaads, in the example you posted the consumer should be given the return in the form that they made purchase not the form the corporation decides, I am NOT on the side of corporations I am a consumer advocate

A customer should have a right to get their money back if they are dis-satisfied, but many many stores set up their return/exchange policies to make it as hard as possible for the consumer to do so. The store wants you to give up.

and once again I agree, some store policies are unreasonable, some would not stand up to a court challenge and as I said I agree your point in the scenario you presented

as far as I am concerned a customer is entitled to a return if they're disatisfied for any valid reason which this consumer clearly was not, he could have what he paid for and all of a sudden, after he opened it didn't want it, he didn't want one that worked he for some reason wanted cash instead of what he bought

But as to this CD story, I'm still confused why you are so adamant as to this person is trying to steal it.

the consumer refused a perfect cd in exchange for the one which he "claims" is only bad becuase of disc errors, why oh why wouldn't he want one without disc errors?...why oh why

they were in stock, why on the planet would he not want what he paid for, what he spent his valuable time, drove, went shopping, waited in line....something he was so thrilled about, as soon as he could went to play it.... in "less then three minutes" we might add.

why oh why would he not be thrilled with the the music he wanted to hear so desperately he opened it immediately?...oh why oh why oh why

2 plus 2 equal four, there is no legal reason what so ever this consumer wanted to breach the contract he is obligated, he wanted cash, why,what he paid for would just not do...hmmm, I think I'll add 2 plus 2

Do you know people that go around with their computers ready to dupe CDs and then return them as defective?

of course I do, even before perfect digital copies when there was just analogue recording I knew people who duped property and returned the original ...and those weren't even accurate dupes

Ummmm, have you done this?

the majority of people on this board have duped digital property they are not entitled

But if you re-read the story he did ask them at Best Buy to check the CD and to verify the read/bad disk error, repeatedly. Now they could have checked/inspected it and seen if the disk was damaged in any way or that in fact the disk was a bad disk. Now if they had and found the disk to be bad, how is this person stealing? what did he do, copy a fudged up CD? I think not.

anyone can create a disc error, simple stuff, so if the disc is bad they give him a disc that's good...that's exactly what they wanted to do and he flat out refused, they wanted to give him a disc with no error, why oh why would he not accept?...hmmm, why oh why

if the disc is bad the store was very happpy to give him a disc that was good, what could possibly be more fair, why on the planet would he not want what he paid for, you tell me why he didn't want what he paid for gonaads.

the store policy is clear and that policy is not unreasonable in the least, they are guaranteeing the consumer gets what he paid for, this consumer wants more then that, this consumer refused a perfect product and he obviously didn't want a good disc he wanted the store's money.

sorry, I am amazed you think he's entitled to anything more then what he payed for, and once agan I am not a corporate advocate I am a consumer advocate

this store policy is clear as day and incredibly reasonable

you buy a product you are entitled to that product

there is no reason this consumer wouldn't take a disc the store would prove was fine, no reason on the planet

so I see you don't want me to call this guy a theif, fine, based on the story he himself told there are three choices in total

1) he's a moron who didn't read or understand the contract he entered when he purchased his disc

2) he doesn't care about his obligation no matter what contract he's entered, he's a welcher

3) he's a theif

he can be any one, any two or all three of those choices, I happen to believe he's number two and number three, however I am satisfied if you believe he is number one, but realistically I can't beleive this guy is a moron he writes too well

those are the only three choices, any combination I am happy to accept, in any event he's not entitled to his money back he's entitled to the music on a good cd

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back