Best Antivirus program?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Digerati, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Digerati

Digerati Guest

Just wanted to get some opinions from all you guys.

What do you guys think is the best antivirus program out there?

I mean, which is the least intrusive, most efficient (ie. not a resource hog), that provides the best protection?

2. Highwind7777

Highwind7777 Guest

mcafee and Norton are pretty good. they run in windows system and fully integrated with windows and office xp. takes a bit of ram but no cpu cycles.
  3. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

I use Norton Anti-Virus 2002 it works great, I don't notice a big performance change, and as long as u use live update often it'll catch those pesky virus'
  4. Akash

Akash OSNN Senior Addict

got norton 2002 running here
    its cool... i like it and its caught a few viruses that i had lurking about

problem at times is performance
    ive disabled the office plugins otherwise wordxp does perform a little sluggish
  5. existenz

existenz Guest

Norton's 2002 here! working good here. has caught some viruses and also blocked some scripts :D
  6. AndyP

AndyP OSNN Senior Addict

Also a NAV 2002 user, my machine is not connected to internet, so I just download the updates from Symantec's site. Works great!
  7. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

West Lafayette, IN, USA
    I Like Norton Anti-Virus 2002
  8. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

NAV2002 as well integrates with your email client and checks your attachments for virii before the attachments are downloaded to your computer. If your live update runs out, its not hard to find a crack that will revive it if you dont mind doing that sort of thing
  9. 3ABXO3

3ABXO3 Guest

NAV 2002, its the only one that worked with my XP.
  10. Speed4Ever

Speed4Ever Guest

NAV 2002 works great here

Speed disk 2002 will be getting much better soon... :D ;)
  11. Big B

Big B Guest

I've had mixed results with NAV2002. It was part of the Norton Internet Security package, and I couldn't use one machine until I went into safemode and deleted the norton directories. It's probably just me, but that doesn't instill a whole lotta confidence in this one for the first time since I've been using it.
  12. UniSol

UniSol I'm all ears

I use KasperskyLabs *Anti-Viral ToolKit Pro* latest version.
    Also NeoWatch 2.4 by (recently bought buy McAfee for having such skill products)

The AVP updates daily which is really good, Even found some virus in a webpage the other day (thankgod)
    Even if I was infected with a trojan or some remote software, nothing can get past NW because I have it set too TIGHT security (Can't even recieve files on IRC, MSN, ping requests, connect to AudioGalaxy etc etc

Nice free and good

Kaspersky AVP PR0 can be found on KaZaA (You might need to get some keys : (EDIT BY APK BECAUSE OF WAREZ/CRACKS CONTENT)
  13. spiderjohn

spiderjohn Guest

dump norton's...get Kaspersky

hey now,

norton and macfree are crappy antivirus programs. i strongly encourage you to download and try Kaspersky's Antiviral Toolkit. you can get it at . give it a shot. norton and macfree are not very effective at removing all of a virus. it'll get the main virus but will often leave virus bodies on your computer. Kaspersky's is the way to go.

14. Riskbreaker

Riskbreaker Guest

BitDefender (formerly known as AVX) and AVP wins hand down!!!:D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool:
  15. broly

broly Guest

i've yet to install xp
    nice suggestions, but the best protection is not being a dumb-ass user, download-run-download-run-infected-format-download-run-download-run-download-run-infected-format... sucks!
    :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
  16. KamaL

KamaL Guest

Norton antivirus 2002 all the way!!
  17. beatlesdb

beatlesdb Guest

Norton 2002 is exellent - specially if you intend on using Outlook for e-mail - as it will creat a mail proxy before windows can get to it.

I don't trust McAfee any longer - even tried the latest version - I think that catching a virus with it is a fluke - getting up-dates is a pain and requires a re-boot all the time.

I have also heard that NOD32 is really good.
  18. masteryyz

masteryyz Guest

Norton 2002 here ;)
    McAfee seems a bit bulky, as a far as a know.

The Norton will scan your incoming & outgoing mail, so it's really save to use Outlook/Express and the uninterrupt updating Virus Definition fuction is also good.
  19. Tweak

Tweak Guest

Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition 7.6

I like NAV Corp 7.6 personally, also The Cleaner, and Trojan Remover, and last but not least OnTrack Fix-It Utilities 4.0 which includes antivirus, only Norton runs in the background, and once a week I hop over to and also do an online snan. Never have troubles with any of them and continue to remain virus free. ;o)
  20. broly

broly Guest

hey, it's holiday season...
    why don't ya guys give viruses a chance... heheheh :p :D