Best Antivirus Program for XP?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Sinister, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Sinister

Sinister Guest

Hi All,

Im in the market for a new Anti-Virus Program as my recent one Bitdefender is culprit to dumping to much crap into my OS Temp folder and not removing them during real time scanning.

You can read my dilema here http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19088

So guys let me know whta you think is the best antivirus program and why. Thanx

2. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Norton Anti-Virus. Why? The name/quality/service/performance and reputation speak for themselves.

3. srg311

srg311 Guest

I totally agree

4. mbunny

mbunny Guest

Norton has too big a footprint... its taking far too much resources for what its doing. (its checking files for viruses that my mouse clicks... AVG does it better and has a much smaller footprint.)

Anyone got any other suggestions cause i'm in the market for a better Anti-Virus program myself.

I head kaspersky has a small foot print and is rather good.

5. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

I agree that Norton is good. If u can get a corp version of it a lot less thrills and more to the point of protecting against virus

6. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

I agree, Norton rocks...just wait..don't buy Norton 2002...wait till 2003 hits the market. It has all the features you'll need such as anti worms, anti trojans and scanning instant messages.

7. beatlesdb

beatlesdb Guest

I disagree that Norton takes up large amounts of system resourses - Version 2002 is fantastic at a price you can't beat. If you don't want to use resourses - try McAfee it takes less system resourse due to the fact that there aren't many viruses it does detect - and doesn't bother scanning e-mail in/out either.

8. DrMetallica

DrMetallica OSNN Senior Addict

i use pc-cillian. i had gotten a virus in june...and pc-cillian didn't detect it untill august. and i would update and scan regularly

9. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

NAV finds what other anti-viruses don't find... and then some!

10. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

I like NAV corporate as well.. it's slimmed down and just does it's job well.. I find I can leave in full protection mode and my machine still runs fast.. with the retail version I'd usually disable it's protection since it would slow things down by scanning every bloody thing... McAfee is very similar.. people ask "how come my machine's running so slow?" since they installed McAfee.. it's scanning on bootup and every file you run, copy, move etc.. ick.. get NAV Corp if you can..

11. Quale

Quale Guest

Anti-Virus

Hello

Now I use norton 2002, but my main program is NOD32. Esset(NOD32 Dev's) have gotten huge amounts of acclaim and are very well know for their good heuristics. Also kaspersky is very good as well, norton is good but not to the caliber as the ones I have just listed. Oh and the free anti-virus programs I would only use them as a second or even third opinion. And I won't even talk about Mcafee:mad:

Quale

12. niabi

niabi Guest

no ofense but where the heck do you guys get that NAV 2002 is the bst one? it HOGS resources like hell and sometimes it just detects virus on any file even when they don't have any.

I think Kapersky is a WAY better program less resources, and more invisible to the user, its got the same or probably more features that do work , I switched from NAV to AVP (kapersky) and i don't regret it and i will not go back to NAV no matter how nice the interface looks like.

nIabI

13. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

avg is the smallest, and it finds viruses the others miss...I've seen this happen to two computors...oh, by the way...it's free

14. Timeo27

Timeo27 Guest

I'd have to say that I'd go with Norton as well, although my one small qualm about it is that the 2002 version feels "stripped down" compared to previous versions. They've left out some of the options that more advanced users find particularly helpful.

Might want to wait for NAV 2003, as the beta is already out and it won't be that long of a wait now.

15. Quale

Quale Guest

AVG is not up to the level as NOD32 or KAV.

Quale

16. Stircrazy

Stircrazy Guest

I use McAffee 6 works good and doesnt Miss any ...And the guy that said it dont scan Emails is Missinformed its just off by default but it does do it when you tell it to also checks files incoming and so on as you get them i like it...

17. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Norton 2002 currently ...

18. Octopus

Octopus Moderator

the problem with McAffee is that if you have ZIP file, and inside this ZIP file another ZIP file ( ZIP inside ZIP) and a virus is hidden inside the second zipped file ...McAffee won't detect that.

19. radmonc

radmonc Guest

NAV is not that great. After installing it on my computer it would continually keep my computer from running correctly (SLOW!). It would just take to much time and use too many resources. Not very good.

20. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

mmmmmmmmmm some say norton gets what others miss. Others say AVG gets what others miss. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Can't go past the freeware one.