Best antivirus proggie to get with XP

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by scuse, Dec 16, 2001.

1. scuse

scuse Guest

informal poll, i have norton 2001 now, i hate it to death.
    whats the best to use and be compatible with?
  2. existenz

existenz Guest

norton's anti-virus 2002 :D

i love it on xp and my computer...
  3. St0n3H3ng3

St0n3H3ng3 Guest

I agree with existenz. I've got Norton 2002, and it works like a charm. Have 2001 under ME, and have no complaints about it, so I guess if you have 2001, you probably will want to stay away from 2002 as I've not seen much difference between the two.
  4. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

i thought i read that 2001 doesnt work with xp??
  5. St0n3H3ng3

St0n3H3ng3 Guest

No, 2001 doesn't work in XP. I was saying it's what I have on my Windows ME partition. Tried to install Norton 2001 on XP, and it wouldn't work, so I went out and got 2002. Ever since I got a virus on my system, I make sure I always have an anti-virus running on my PCs. And ever since we got the ILoveYou virus at work, I make doubly sure of this, and update my virus defs constantly. Nothing like ILY to bring down a mail server!
  6. NaMcO

NaMcO Guest

If you really want something clean, light and very efficient i'd advise you to take a look at AVP (Antiviral Toolkit PRO) from kaspersky labs. Internet updates are available and it's very very simple to use and, as i said, light on the system

Try it, it's simply great.
  7. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

8. scuse

scuse Guest

the kapersky software says it only works up to win2k. will it work with xp?
  9. i use and recomemd norton 2002 my self i love it has stopped my nasty dead in there tracks :D
  10. evilhomer

evilhomer Guest

kaspersky labs

scanner works fine, but the rest doesn't really. (the real-time monitoring, etc)
  11. XeoNoX

XeoNoX OSNN Senior Addict

norton 2002 works for me and it does the job.
  12. noah472

noah472 Guest

AVG is very good as its completly free but on my win xp and on two other systems with the same o/s it takes about 5 minutes to load and slows the system totaly until it has done. Once loaded it works fine. I have 320 mb of ram so i dont think that has anything to do with it!
  13. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

Something very odd going on there, I had trouble with AVG when I first installed it on XP but this was because I was using an older version. Perhaps if you download the latest things may be better
  14. UniSol

UniSol I'm all ears

Kaspersky's 'Antiviral Toolkit Personal PRO' here :D

It had a little background process running I never new about so I had to disable it (to much CPU lag).
  15. noah472

noah472 Guest

It is the latest version of AVG as i had lost my old copy of it. Its very strange indeed.... just have to leave the machine on instead of rebooting which aint too much stress! ;)
  16. jw50

jw50 OSNN Senior Addict

Microsoft released an XP Compatibility Update late last week that says it adds compatibility for Norton 2001, McAfee 4.5 and alot of other programs. Just go to the Windows Update site to download it.
  17. Riskbreaker

Riskbreaker Guest

try BitDefender formerly called AVX..not so big of a d/l but its a very good anti virus :)