Benched: PowerMac G5 / High-End x86 Machines

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Just stumbled across this in my RSS aggregator, BareFeats haven taken some some of the most powerful x86 based PCs V's the PowerMac G5.

The Machines compared are :
  • Dual 2.0GHz G5
  • Dual 2.5GHz G5
  • Dual Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
  • Pentium 4 3GHz
  • 64-Bit Ahtlon 2.2Ghz

The G5's seem to do very well when it comes to the raw CPU crunching, however fall waaaaaaaaay behind on the graphics (read: games & maya) which most Mac users don't really care about, but it's not just a small lag behind, it's really a long way behind the x86 Machines, something that hopefully Apple, along with ATi and nVidia will take note of and work on :)

Anyway, the stats: http://www.barefeats.com/macvpc.html

Note, at the first sight of flaming or argument your post will be deleted without warning, repeat offences can result in a ban

I knew when it came to graphics that the G5's were a little behind, but i didnt know it was as much as that. Very good find dave.

G5's were always behind because Apple puts in cards that do not generate TOO much heat, and is still enough for standard apps, and the OpenGL rendernig that is used for the rest of the system.

Not a downpoint though, most people care about raw CPU with GFX coming in second, when the G5 is doing video editing it is the raw CPU power that does it most.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back