Bat file and html

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by omg its nlm, Dec 21, 2004.

1. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

I have a web site and when a user clicks on a link i want it to run a bat file. How am I able to do this?

2. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

You want it to run a bat file on the users machine? or do you want to run a bat file on the server?

if its the first one just do a link to the bat file, but then they'd have to download it an run it (otherwise it would be a massive security risk, and would only work for windows people)

if its the second, the only way I can think of atm is to use scripting language such PHP to do it by linking to a page with the code which calls the bat file and then running whatever the link is.

Sounds odd though, why do you want to do it?

omg its nlm likes this.
  3. omg its nlm

I want to do the second one. Its kind of like a end of day function. Copying moving and renaming files.

4. omg its nlm

If you Right click the link and do open it works. Is there a way to make it do this by default?

:edit:

5. omg its nlm

How about this for example....

When you go to the a site to install flash, it automaticly try to install. i.e run the installer?

Is there a way to do this with a batch file?

6. omg its nlm

OK i figured it out for now, I linked to the folder where the bat file is located which opens inside a frame. From there they can just click on the file and click yes.

(This is a local site, intranet)

If you know any other ways let me know.

7. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

First you say you want to run it on the server and then all your attempts are run on the client. Even the solution. It's a little backwards, but if it's intranet and it works and you can live with it, go ahead. :)