Barton Core, is it worth it?

wingman411

OSNN Senior Addict
I am going to upgrade my cpu to a 333 fsb to take advantage of the 1 GB of pc2700 memory I just bought. I want to spend less than $2oo.oo USD on the cpu/fan.

Can anyone go to this website and help me decide which one to consider buying. It is confusing as to GHZ speed. Some lower amd # cpu's seem to have a higher GHZ speed.

Also, how can you tell if it is a barton core or an earlier model if it doesn't say?

website

Originally posted by wingman411
I am going to upgrade my cpu to a 333 fsb to take advantage of the 1 GB of pc2700 memory I just bought. I want to spend less than $2oo.oo USD on the cpu/fan.

Can anyone go to this website and help me decide which one to consider buying. It is confusing as to GHZ speed. Some lower amd # cpu's seem to have a higher GHZ speed.

Also, how can you tell if it is a barton core of earlier model if it doesn't say?

website

bartons come in 4 flavors @ the moment...

2500+/2800+/3000+ and 3200+ ratings...

if you look @ the specs for the cpu's and the cpu has 512kb l2 cache.. thats a barton... :)

for 200usd or less.. I would suggest getting the 2800+ and a nice heatsink... :) or just use the stock retail one if you buy retail...

you can always OC it well...

else you can get the 2500+ and oc it to 3000+ levels out of the box as most people have been able to do...

Does your mobo support 333? Some early 333 mobo's did not.

With the PC2700 you got plenty of headroom if you want to try increasing your bus speed, if you are currently running 133. Try pushing it to 140 or so. My system runs stable at 146, which puts my AMD2400 at 2.2g.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back