bad zipper!

H

Hutch

I downloaded a utility by the name of Eraser,it was for erasing things from your hard drive.
The thing is this product has taken over all my compession stuff,zip files etc.
It is made by a company called Green Tree,and i dont know how but there are now about 3 green tree products in my computer.
One is called copy rite and this has installed itself on my c drive.
Since upgrading to XP these products cause some heavy duty damage if i try to use them.The first time it happened i thought it was a virus cause i had just downloaded a new driver for my web cam,first i thought it was the downloaded driver but i now know it is this zip utility by green tree.
I cant download my a-virus updates cause they come in a zip file,nor anything else that might need compression.
I know your thinking,"why doesn`t he get rid of it?"
This is the problem.when i try to un install it from add remove programs,it comes back with "install log not found"cannot remove.
Can anyone help me,i really need to get rid of this program.
Thanks.

Windows xp
Pentium 4 1.8,
512 sdram 400fsb,
Nvidia gf2 400 64mb
Asus P4B mainboard.

There are just some junk programs that will give you this kind of grief. Back-up what needs backed up, format and start clean. Chalk it up to experience. Either that or just delete all their shortcuts and leave it there.

thanks for the prompt reply,if i just delete the shortcuts will i have any problems using winzip after that?

Originally posted by Hutch
thanks for the prompt reply,if i just delete the shortcuts will i have any problems using winzip after that?
I dont think so. winzip should associate itself with zip files when u install it, and if it doesnt and you dont know how to do it manually, just post here again.

Yeah, like AmarSingh said. Also, open windows explorer> tools> 'file types' tab. Go in there and get rid of the bogus associations to these programs... just look for thier icons and re-associate the file types with the right program(s).

Your best bet is to go back to a restore point (registry) prior to the installation of that software. You can then safely delete the folder the sofware is in and everything will be fine. If for some reason you don't have a restore point (and you probably do), then do the following:

1) Delete the directory the program is in
2) Do a search on your computer for the name of the program and delete any files or folders that come up
3) Open regedit and navigate to two different locations:

- H_K_Current_User / Software and
- H_K_Local Maching / Software

and in each of these locations delete any keys with the name of the program in question OR the supplier of the program

Reboot

Open Winzip and reassociate your zip files with winzip

BEFORE MAKING CHANGES TO YOUR REGISTRY, BE SURE YOU HAVE A CURRENT RESTORE POINT OR MANUAL BACKUP just in case you make an error and need a safe haven.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back