Bad router? *hlp

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by NightHawk_450, Jul 30, 2003.

1. NightHawk_450

NightHawk_450 OSNN Addict

I have a D-link DI-704P Router....

About once a day I have to power off and power on, in order to obtain my cable connection. The gate way shows up and my lan ip. There are 4 computers on my network

3 RUNNING XP........ONE ME

help would be asppreiated :)

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Err... what's wrong then? :confused:

(I have the same router btw)

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Same router here too :)

Do you mean you lose your cable connection once a day, and you need to re-obtain it by powering off and on?

If so, it's because your DHCP lease might be expiring. To solve the problem, get into your web-based router config, go to the "Setup" menu and check the "Renew IP forever" box. Then power off the router, and turn it on again.

4. iamtaylormade

iamtaylormade One Step from The Edge

I too have this problem with my linksys router. I didn't have this problem until recently when AT&T was taken over by Comcast. I have to cycle the router and occasionally do the release and renew via the cmd window so everything is sync'd up. I don't have any option in my setup or advanced selections that would enable me to always maintain my IP. I thought the router would automatically renew the IP upon expiration, guess I thought wrong. It's a little annoying but easy to fix.
    If anyone can shed some light on my rather dark mind, I'd really appreciated it.
    Thanks in advance

5. NetRyder

I'm still not sure if I answered his question or not :confused:

6. NightHawk_450

NightHawk_450 OSNN Addict

you answered my question thanks everyone! worked perfectly ever since......thanks lots :)

7. NetRyder

Glad it worked :)