Bad Boot.ini

dubstar

format c:
i changed my boot screen (to a hot chick of course), i used a standard method

copied xp's boot file, made an original copy, then copied over 1 of them with the custom boot screen.

everytime i boot up, it shows my custom screen, everything is fine, but it says

" INVALID BOOT.INI
loading from c:\windows"

then it loads uos fine and dandy.. (let me check what it says real quick..)

boot.ini should look like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

cant seem to find my BOOT.INI file

where abou'st would it be? i did a search for it..

im using windows home edition, btw, i know its pretty much the same thing, so thankyou.

it is in your root, so look at c:\ its a hidden system file

Or you can right click my computer/properties/advanced/startup & recovery/settings/edit. That's your boot.ini.

Originally posted by sboulema
it is in your root, so look at c:\ its a hidden system file

i dont have a BOOT.ini in my c:\ , but my comptuer still boots up.. is this normal?!

It has to be in there. Have you gone to folder view & unhidden your files?

this is what my boot.ini says...

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

the difference is after [operating systems]
but everything works fine, although I used to have problems after I uninstalled bootxp...

should i just make my own BOOT.INI file? (i recently uninstalled BootXP.)

the home version would say:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0
)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partiti
on(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect

right?

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
Or you can right click my computer/properties/advanced/startup & recovery/settings/edit. That's your boot.ini.
how do you check the boot path, as i know that can repair the boot.ini

Have you gone to what I said above about right clicking my computer? Look in there.

win error message:
"The C:\boot.ini file can not be opened. Operating System and Timeout Settings can not be changed."

but then it shows the Startup & Recovery controls

btw: Doofus. did your sig get tos'd by boomspeed??

Ahhh so it's there but you can't get at it. I would reload bootxp. It has a feature in there to restore the boot.ini before you remove bootxp. Been a long time since I have used it but it is in there somewhere.

You have to try & gain access to the boot.ini............somehow.

msconfig to check to boot path and a chance it can repair it as well

Boom Speed Suc big time. I replied to their email saying it is all a big con to get people to using it & then make them pay. Don't even have a chance to get your pics back. :mad:

Looks like GoNz0 has your problem nailed. :)

Boom Speed Suc big time. I replied to their email saying it is all a big con to get people to using it & then make them pay. Don't even have a chance to get your pics back. :mad:

Looks like GoNz0 has your problem nailed. :)

yeah, i had a bunch of photos i scanned then deleted on my pc.. a week or two later, GONE!

oh, i think i fixed my BOOT.INI problem. In the Startup & Recovery controls, i clicked "Edit" in the startup systems area.. and it said "cant find it, want to make a new one?"

i clicked yes, and now i have one. i wonder why it didnt just make one for me

yes..you can also always access your boot.ini file by clicking start --> run : then typing in "msconfig" .. this will bring up several system files that you can have your way with, but be careful as you can screw things up :blink:

are you guys sure

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0

)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partiti

on(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect

will work? i have 1 hdd, with 2 partions on it, C:(windows) and M:(multi-media)

this will work?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back