bad bad noises on boot

• Thread starter BlackEyedAngel
  • Start date
B

BlackEyedAngel

at the beginning of my boot, when i've just turned on my machine, the hard drive (i'm pretty sure it's the hd) makes very nasty sounding loud noises. it's like the normal activity noise but louder and more grindy. i dont like it. any idea what is causing it? corrupt boot sector or something? i hope nothing that drastic, but i am suspicious because it's only at the beginning of boot up as it is checking memory, and that stuff... advice appreciated as always.

I had something similar occuring & it turned out to a loose wire going into the hard drive. The cable was set OK but one wire was loose. Went through two hard drives before it got picked up. Thank goodness for warranty. :D

Try a boot-time defrag. Boot files may be severely fragmented causing the hd arm to have to move all over the platters during boot.

snookbooger, is that an option in the windows defrag program? how do i set it up? sounds like a good idea though, it does sound like it's desperately trying to find stuff...

Has it always been like this or is it a new fenomenon? Some disks are a bit loud during the startup. If it just started doing this, the disk is probably dying.

it's started doinf it in the last few months... :S bad stuff is going on methinks

OMG OMG OMG<, i have EXACTLY the same problem, it happened since i installed win XP.

although im sure my drive is giving up now, i need a new one methinks.

Originally posted by Hipster Doofus
I had something similar occuring & it turned out to a loose wire going into the hard drive. The cable was set OK but one wire was loose. Went through two hard drives before it got picked up. Thank goodness for warranty. :D

Yes, i just checked. It was a lose wire after all and luckily i didnt lose the drive to this.:)

I sugest that guyu having the problem makes sure the HD wire is FIRMLY connected, i must have accidently losend mine when i last upgraded.:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back