Backup

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by negativefactor, Aug 30, 2004.

1. negativefactor

negativefactor ..of the vast oceans.

I simply want to backup a series of files on my computer onto mulitple DVD's. We are talking 28GB of data so I want to back it straight onto the DVD drive rather than say, create a split zip file and burn that. I simply don't have 28GB elsewhere to place the files! Ghost is not a option because I don't want to create a snapshot of the drive/disk, just the files so I can place them back anywhere.

What is the easiest software to perform this task?

I have nero 6, but for the life of me I can't get Nero BackItUp to work, it just hangs for ages, counts up, but does nothing.

Hope you can help.

2. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Drive image 7 also compresses the files aswell and burns em to dvd.

3. bush dogg

bush dogg OSNN Senior Addict Political User

use the option in Nero to make a data disc then add what you want to the project.

4. negativefactor

This will allow spanning across multiple disks?

(I'd check, but i'm not using my PC atm.)

5. bush dogg

bush dogg OSNN Senior Addict Political User

I haven't tried to span using the data disc option so I'm not sure.

I use the data disc option and add to the project untill the disc is full because of the time it take's to do an image span. This way I can just do 4.7g or close at a time onto the disc and reload one or all and it seems to take less time that spanning them. I just use how ever many disc's it takes. (most cases only one extra is all it takes).

The last time I used nero backup with only 11g to DVD it took around 4 or 5 hours to complete.

6. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Spanning is probably not a good idea. If one of the earlier discs becomes corrupt, you could have problems getting stuff off a later disk.

I'd just use make standard data disks. And label them correctly.

7. negativefactor

Thanks for the posts all, I think your right i'm just going to stick with normal backup to DVD.

Cheers