Backends in the Active dtop

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by Tabula Rasa, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Stranger Than Kindness Political User

Hey there matt, MdSalih and everyone.
    I'm currently in the process of making a nice active Dtop, and i got most of it working. the only problem i have is getting the backends to work, i have IIS installed (everything except the SMTP server) and i tryed to run MdSalih's example straight from the PC i'm on and for some reason it wont work (i get a very strange output). then i thought of linking to the php that is on mdsalih's server, but that wont work either ( it tells me to download or opens it with dreamweaver.

any help please? i really want to get it to work.

Thanks in advance, Benny.

2. Tabula Rasa

Ohhh, and i forgot to mention i am using frames, so that each backend (news and forum posts) is in a different frame.

Cheers.

3. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

You are trying to run XPERIENCE backends in order to display the latest news and forum posts?

I only installed IIS on XP once, and I got so sick of fighting with it and trying to get PHP to work that I uninstalled and did away with it. If you have access to a server with PHP installed I def. recommend using it off the server. The Windows version of PHP doesn't work as well and causes all sorts of problems and slow down's (at least it did for me).

I can tell you where I have my beta version stored if you want to try it that way. Up to you.

4. Tabula Rasa

I'll appreciate if you'll tell me where yours is located, I do have access to server in which i can do whatever i like (more or less), but it will be easyer to see an example to "learn" from.

Thanks in advance m8 :)

5. madmatt

pm sent.

6. Tabula Rasa

Thank you matt, i think i have an idea about how to make everything work alright, I'll let you know how it all goes and will probably post a pic of the dtop in the future "December Desktops" thread.

BTW , do you know if it is possible to open a remote file into a layer?

7. madmatt

Using PHP you can only use include(); for files on that server (BAH). However, in my quest to make one copy of the xperience desktop box I did figure out that you can pull a .CSS (from the <style> tag) from another location (even locally).

8. Tabula Rasa

Good luck with that matt.

9. madmatt

It's either I make generic themes, have everyone use it on their own server, or make them use my colors.

Themes, I don't really want to, nor have the time.
    Own server, is in the lead, don't waste my bandwidth =)
    My Colors, who wants to look like me?

10. Tabula Rasa

hehe , well i can understand you on the "not really want to, nor have time" part. i'd probably be done with my dtop if i wouldn't have to wake up everyday at 430am and come home exosted at 4pm.
    here's an idea: You , me and a couple more guys (or gals) can make a different variant for the xperience dtop each.
    just a thought

11. madmatt

That works for me, but how about this idea..

You, a couple of our other buds from xperience, and I can all go out for a few beers (however, I drink mine cold). Maybe Hooters?

oh, I am off topic. uhm... [=

12. Tabula Rasa

Hooters? ohh well.
    How about this one: you ,as a mod on this site, do that damn desktop thing on your own. and i ,as just a member volunteering for the good of this community and its members, wont kick the crap out of you for that last comment.

ehhm, where was I?

(j/k m8 , but i can see a "how bout this idea: i ban you" replay coming up)

13. madmatt

*eats a cookie* guess you don't have them over there, it's a restaraunt by the way.

anyway, I plan on sitting down and working on the xperience block some time this weekend, not saying I will have it done, but I will get a good jump on it.

after finishing, or coming close, you are more than welcome to the code to add your own touch to it.

back to being hungry for a burger.

14. Tabula Rasa

Okey Dokey,
    and i know what Hooters is, and we don't have them over here, and even if we did i wouldn't go there (for same reason why i don't go to strip clubs).

Good luck again ;)