Back from the dead

Mastershakes

OSNN Veteran Addict
I reread this paragraph many times .... and it still bugs me....

CNN said:
Those were the words that 51-year-old Martin Toler Jr. scrawled on a piece of paper in a note to his family, as he was dying in the darkened Sago coal mine where he and 11 other miners perished after an explosion early Monday.

So he died ? hehehe... he is the living dead according to this article. I know it's just a mistake - I've noticed alot of CNN stories seem a bit rushed. How this tiny mistake was missed we'll never know, but it brought a smile to my face despite the sadness of the article.

Source

the sick part of this entire ordeal are the circumstances

this firm was given over 200 notices, each with a possible fine of 60,000

instead, they received 60 dollar fines, with the largest being 850

it was cheaper for them to get fined then it was to do the maintenance that the law requires

the person that's now in charge if mining safety is another "you're doing a great job brownie" appointee

this guy was a manager for the industry, and his accident rate was double other managers

funding for miner safety has gone down, with lmost no enforcement of violations

Jack Spadaro, former director of the MSHA National Mine Safety Academy, said inspectors told him privately that Labor Department opposition to vigorous safety regulation has hindered their work.

“Two weeks before this explosion, I was told by an inspector, ‘Jack, there’s going to be another disaster because we can’t do our jobs,’ ” he said in an interview.

sorry to say it, but this is another example of the debt being called by your tax dollars being given to rich people

Last edited:
The current director of MSHA had a telephone interview on CBC Radio One (Channel 137 on Sirius Satellite) yesterday morning when I was walking to work in the freezing cold of MTL ....

She mentioned something lacking in the legislation ....

They do come up with guidelines, and send inspectors, but in the end, it's the companies themselves who must enforce / uphold the standards. They are almost powerless in other words.

the fines that are on the books would do the trick...certainly a 60 dollar fine does not, espeically when it could go as high as 60,000

also a union would have done the trick...I really don't understand how media have been able to make unions out to be bad guys and middle America has bought into the corporate marketing which discredits the benefits of a union in labor envirnments

middle class america has GOT to start looking after their interest again and stop buying into the corporate marketing that is so pervasive in these times.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back