Avoid kit kat for now

Discussion in 'Portable Devices & Gadgets' started by Perris Calderon, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I flashed a kit kat last week, and apps and scrolling seem to slow down, battery life seemed to be half, I tried researching to find a solution and it seems this is a somewhat common prob.

Most people say their phone is faster so the issue does not affect everyone.

If you don't think you can downgrade after you try out kit kat then don't take the chance, there aren't too many improvements over the previous OSto make it worth the risk

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

What phone do you have, and are you running a stock carrier build, or custom ROM? If custom, they can vary widely from ROM to ROM. Also, kernel can sometimes make a difference with battery life.

3. Perris Calderon

I'm running the stock kit kat from tmobile on a Samsung mega, really slowed the phone down, it also locked the boot loader and made it hard to downgrade the os.

I'll work through this but for me this is a really bad "upgrade"

4. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

was it an OTA update or did you flash a rom?

5. Perris Calderon

OTA, I usually just use stock roms rooted and take out the bloat myself, this rom is really bad on the mega, I have some friends with the note 3 who are also having some issues with kit kat, this is surprising since kit kat was supposed to bring better memory management, it seems on my phone the reverse is true.

6. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I've been running a Cyanogen Mod 4.4 on my phone for the last month or two without any major issues.. OnePlus One has been running pretty well for me

7. Perris Calderon

problem for me, the bootloader is locked right now and no work around for my m819 yet so I'm stuck with the ota till they figure out how to overwrite the boot loader on this one.

uggg, I thought I would be able to downgrade if I didn't like kitkat but no can doit

I think best advice if you want to try kitkat is to make sure you are getting a cooked rom, if you get kitkat ota you might not be able to root or customize the rom

I suppose they will find a way to unlock the new bootloader soon enough, but not soon enough for me