AVI to DVD

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Bman, May 12, 2007.

1. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

I have searched the internet for awhile now and can't seem to find anything good on this. I want make my avi files work on a normal dvd player.

I wish there was a way without new software, but if i have too what is the best way in doing this? Fastest, simplest, etc.

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

tmpgenc, nero, any to dvd, etc :)

3. vertigo

vertigo OSNN Senior Addict

the best way is to get a player that can play mpeg4 (divx, xvid, etc), even the dirt cheap models are capable of that now. but dvd flick is easy to use, free and quite fast. http://www.dvdflick.net/

4. Bman

nero dosen't do that? u can burn dvd files of course but to get those files...

i just found a program called WinAVI Video Converter, and works good, but not free.

5. vertigo

winavi is crap...

6. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Ok Nero 6 I believe but for sure in Nero 7 you can convert avi files before buring a DVD so they work on a regular dvd player.

I would suggest instead of that getting a program called ConvertXtoDVD to do the work of converting and using your choice of buring software to burn it

7. epk

epk Moderator Political User Folding Team

8. andy_rose

andy_rose Moderator

Another vote for ConvertXtoDVD. Been using it for some time now, and it is great! Not free tho.

9. Bman

Thanks for all the help guys, I figured out how to do it with Nero so I'm going to do it that way, since I have nero.

10. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

11. Bman

I ended up bothering to try "WinAVI Video Converter" and I really like it.

It's simple, it does an amazing job and does it fast.

I would like to know where you got the idea that its crap? 5 out of 5 for me.

12. vertigo

1. it's overpriced for what it is

2. the "company" (and a few others, that are more or less the same crap) employs a team of spammers. i have to ban one or two members every few days on a few forums i moderate, different ip each time.

3. there is no indication on their site that it is just a shiny interface for an open source project: ffmpeg. since the "product" won't actually work without it, i'm sure there is some LGPL violations in there

i could list a few more but i'm sure i made a post like this in another thread somewhere..

13. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

LOL

Are you reading what you are typing?

If it is an OPEN SOURCE... they can do what they want, and unless the people/organization who developed the code take the time to PROVE it was their source code, then YOU and anyone else accusing them of theft should really keep their mouths closed...

If you believe they have used open-source information to get financial gain, report them to the org that created it, and don't bash someones program.

Stick to FACTS, not opinions and hearsay... and dont let it be personal thats how flame rants start.

I personally believe a MOD should delete BOTH of your posts, as they were boviously directed at other reasons than you think the program was crap.

Mike A!

14. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

DVDFlick...it's free and works great, creates chapters, and gives all options I've ever needed with putting avis to dvd.

Best of all it's open source and free!!!!

http://www.dvdflick.net/

15. vertigo

@mlakrid:

do you actually know anything about the ffmpeg project? know anything about digital video? do you have any idea how much work it would be to write decoders and encoders for almost every format out there? how much time & effort do you think it would take to refine rate control, fix bugs and add features to said decoders & encoders?

now let's say "winavi" wrote their own, high quality, (amazingly) mostly bug-free, solid implementations for all those decoders, encoders, parsers, muxers, scalers and pp (many, many years of work done by a generous team of developers and testers). only $30? :rolleyes:

lol. get educated on the subject please before criticizing my posts

that's a great app

Last edited: May 18, 2007