AVG and Mozilla Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by tom9042, Mar 29, 2004.

1. tom9042

tom9042 OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

My Norton Antivirus subsription is up in two days. I've downloaded AVG based upon discussions in this forum. However, I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my email. I want to be sure that I am reading it correctly, AVG does not support a non Microsoft email program? I guess this means that I'll have to go back to Norton.

By the way, thanks to all you regular posters. I really enjoy and learn from your postings. I hope to have something to add some day.

2. Elroy Jetson

Elroy Jetson Little Dipper School

AVG has no plugin for Thunderbird, but for Eudora, etc. However, as AVG scans every file that is written to your hdd, even if you don't have a plugin running, it is going to pick up an infected file being written to your drive by the email program. Maske sure you enable heuristics when installing the program.

I now use Symantec AV Corporate Edition after years of AVG, and it, too, has no plugin for my email program. Picks up all the nasty Netsky's, though, through realtime file scanning.

Enjoy AVG, it is a great program.

Elroy.

3. Voodoo

Voodoo OSNN Junior Addict

Totally agree, AVG is a very capable AV scanner. I use the free version on my second PC. :)

4. tom9042

tom9042 OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

Thanks for the responses. I'll stay with my new AVG and double check that I've enabled heuristics.

Thanks again!

5. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

You can configue AVG to scan incoming/outgoing email with Thunderbird. Use the email configure wizard, but instead of selecting one of the email clients listed, read below "If your email client is not listed here..." and follow the directions there. Basically, you are config'ing AVG to scan anything coming through the localhost/127.0.0.1, doesn't matter which client you use.

Heeter

6. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

:) nice choice tom, AVG is great