Automation Utility wanted !!

M

Manos P

I'm looking for an app to automate some procedures such as downloading while i'm away. Most common download managers (Getright, Dap, Godzilla) only work for automated tasks after download is finished (shutdown,disconnect, etc).The windows embedded task scheduler works only when the pc works as well! Can i schedule a download for late nite that can trigger the pc to boot at a specific time & shutdown afterwards?

Thanx

As your computer will need to be turned on to run programs I highly doubt there is one that can boot the computer.

You mean there's nothing that can boot the pc automatically except the boot button ?? :confused:

ManosP, the computer would have to already be turned on to run such a program, which obviously defeats the point, the only thing you could do really, is to bring it out from standby.
Or like me, never turn your computer off :)

In fact, a friend of mine works for a radio station where they use a radio automation software that even after a blackout (without a ups) the pc reboots all alone and the software re-run on its own. As far as i'm concerned it's the software's job that manages the whole procedure! Is there any available BIOS setting for auto-switch ON or OFF ???

Hi,

I know there are Compaq models which you can set to BOOT at a certain time in the BIOS. Try your BIOS, and see if you can find a similar function.

You could try a NIC which has wake-up-on-LAN function.

If you are looking for a good task schedular for Windows, you might want to try Wincron, its scriptable:

http://www.wincron.com/

Kind regards,
Willem Moolenaar

D'oh, didnt think of the bios, the original post threw me as you asked for an "app" meaning something running in windows (requiring the machine to already be on)

I found the app (wincron) really intersting m8!! Thanx!
My BIOS version includes WOM & WOL function but only available when the pc is on stand-by mode! Nothing works when turned off! Anyway i really appreciate your help!

Cheers :D

D'oh, didnt think of the bios, the original post threw me as you asked for an "app" meaning something running in
windows (requiring the machine to already be on)

Need sth to trigger my pc when it's completely off:confused:

Is there any reason you can't just leave it switched on ?

No that ain't no problem but i was wondering if the downloads could be done at low net traffic hours. Besides i got a dial up 128 isdn connection, which means that i pay as long as i stay connected. So if i had to go off for a few days it won't help at all !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back