Automatically delete History in IE7

illmaticone

OSNN Junior Addict
Hello,

I have IE7 setup on public computers; I need it to automatically delete history, cookies, etc on exit. This feature is on firefox, however I tried that approach and the users weren’t too happy, so I immediately switched back to IE. This feature is important for public computers and I can’t find a solution.

Thanks.

1) If they are public computer the correct response is "live with it, it's security for your protection".

2) The best way to avoid saved info is to not allow cookies at all. Given that option firefox will look better to the whiners (I mean users).

3) There are utilites that will clean all the myraid of personal data MS squirrels away on a machine while being used. I'll look around and see if there is one that can be made to work at log off.

But if you are really concerned about security on a public computer Linux would be a better choice. Windows and IE scare me with what they leave lying around. There are programs that scan your PC and will spit out all kinds of left over passwords and IDs that windows stupidly saves unencrypted. I stopped running the programs because they were upsetting me too much.

Set up a local Home page on each computer with relevant links to sites users are going to be using (hotmail, yahoo, gmail, google, .... etc. )

On the page, setup a little tutorial on privacy.

In IE7, clicking on Tools, Delete Browsing History clears everything.

Not perfect, but if your users want IE, they want IE.

IE7 Security Information

In the past, you could delete individual links, and direct the computer NOT to remember passwords, but there wasn't one, all-inclusive, command that erased personal data. Now there is. To delete evidence of your browsing history click on Tools and then choose Delete Browsing History. Be aware, however, that doing so, not only erases the addresses, but also the cookies (including user names and passwords), and Internet Explorer caches within your browser. The end result is that it's less likely anyone can steal your personal information, but you'll need to subsequently re-enter your data on each site that requires it. Bottom line? It's a great feature, but one that is more useful on shared/public computers than your home machine. Unless, of course, you don’t want your spouse to trace your Internet travels. They wouldn't do that, would they?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back