Automatic Windows Updates Not Working?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by michali, Jun 13, 2006.

1. michali

michali OSNN Junior Addict

Having read lancer's post on the Windows updates, I realized that neither of my computers had updated recently, even though each one is set to automatically update. Also on the windows update page online it says my system is set to automatically update. But neither does! I am running Windows XP Pro, IE7 Beta and Office 2007 Beta. Any one else with this problem?

2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Re: Automatic Windows Updates

Define recently?

They only update on the second Tuesday of every month (that is today BTW mine just popped up for permission). You may never know it happened unless you have it set to ask your permission (I do so I know it updated). It downloads in background and installs on the next boot.

Update;
    Ok, that's freaky. It said it was downloading the updates. I rebooted 3 hours later and just because you got me interested I looked up the numbers for the updates. They had not installed!

Do a manual update for now (I am), there may be a bug in the update service. Which isn't working either. The download site must be qeued up really bad.

Ahha, here we go. About a 5 minute delay on the download.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2006
  3. dz2k

dz2k OSNN Junior Addict

:laugh: ^^at the ATI comment. you may not have d/l the genuine advantage stuff yet. you gotta go to windows update site and get that first.

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

I got it all (the genuine advantage a few days ago). The M$ update site was just backlogged badly. It put my auto update on hold. The munual update it started after a few minutes.

5. dz2k

dz2k OSNN Junior Addict

liol, i was getting the 6th/9th update earlier and i noticed it had just paused for 5m. i ended up stopping and updating an hr later. yeah, thats a busy site. i guess thats better than what the vista beta 2 site is going through.

6. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Thread moved/renamed.