autocad

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Perris Calderon, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

anyone use this program?

just got it...there's a friggin college course to teach you how to use it, I might have to take it.

any quick tricks?

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

What do you want to know, I've got around 3,000 hours professional use of it under my belt.

3. Perris Calderon

right now just learn some basics, build a house with fence and railing, so I need top and side views

later on I'd like to make some aero dynamic suggestions in car design

something like that

btw

If you want to start a project with me, I'll pm to you some novel aero dynamic concepts and we can put to gether a treatment for submission to the auto industry

no kidding...some concepts that are valid but haven't been considered in auto design

let me know

4. My first real job was in the drawing office of a metalwork company drawing up things like balustrade, balconies, staircases etc.
    The other thing is - can you actually draw. Not being funny, but do you know the basics of elevations, plans, offsets etc. That's where I always fell over (I only worked in there for a year).
    Also, are you a keyboard shortcut or an icon man? I can give you a basic list of useful keyboard shortcuts if you intend to go that route (my preferred way - you can then use both hands and you can use any machine without having to hunt down icons).

5. Perris Calderon

keyboard man

no, I have very little mechanical drawing experience

6. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

I am a Mechanical Engineer so I work with floor plans, not really auto design.

The keyboard shortcut I use the most for drawing is specifying line lengths and angle. If you you want to draw a 2.5 foot 40° line, then you use the line tool, click where you want to start it and enter in

@2'6"<40

That should get you started.

Drawing up a house with elevations is not a small task.

Actually I don't agree with the idea of being able to draw. I can't draw anything on paper, but I can make some pretty good detailed drawings with AutoCAD.

7. Perris Calderon

that's very nice, I can probably do the whole house with that

and I think he meant was I learned in mechanical drawing artistic skills