audio editing

seperatist

OSNN Senior Addict
do you know of any easy to use computer recording / mixing programs. I am using Adobe Audition. It's not very user friendly. I need something that will allow me to "pre-mix" the audio before I record it. You know - clean it up & add effects.

Audition isn't user-friendly? I think you'll be hard pushed to find anything that is more friendly really. The only other editor I've really used and can recommend would be Audacity: http://audacity.sf.net/

There's also apps by steinberg, but I can't imagine them being user-friendly at all :D

I don't know your budget so I am going to suggest Goldwave,

GoldWave is a top rated, professional digital audio editor. It contains so many great features, you will be amazed by all the things it can do:
  • Play, edit, mix, and analyze audio
  • Apply special effects, such as fade, equalizer, doppler, mechanize, echo, reverse, flanger, and more
  • Digitally remaster and restore old recordings with noise reduction and pop/click filters
  • Record audio from cassettes, vinyl records, radio, etc. through your computer's line-in
  • Record dictation through a microphone or play dictation back at a slower speed for transcription
  • Make perfect digital copies of audio CD tracks using the CD Reader tool and save them in wma, mp3, ogg files
  • View a variety of real-time visuals and VU meters
  • Convert files to/from different formats, such as wav, wma, mp3, ogg, aiff, au, vox and even raw binary data
GoldWave is the most advanced and complete audio editor available in its price range. It includes all of the common audio editing commands and effects, plus powerful built-in tools such as a batch processor/converter, a CD reader, and audio restoration filters that cost extra in other similar programs. Comprehensive, easy to use, and efficiently engineered, GoldWave offers the best value in audio editing software. With over 10 years of development and widespread usage, it has an excellent and unmatched track record.

Try the fully functional evaluation version (v5.08, 2004/06/11) of GoldWave.

General Features

* Multiple Document Interface for working with many files in one session
* Huge file editing: 4GB and beyond (NTFS only)
* Configurable RAM or hard drive editing
* High quality: 24 bit, 192kHz
* Real-time visuals: bar, waveform, spectrogram, spectrum, VU meter, ...
* Fast non-destructive editing. Cut, copy, delete, and undo take only a fraction of a second, regardless of the file size
* Multiple undo levels
* Many effects: distortion, doppler, echo, filter, mechanize, offset, pan, volume shaping, invert, resample, equalizer, time warp, pitch, reverb, volume matcher, channel mixer, ...
* Effect previewing and presets
* Audio restoration filters: noise reduction, pop/plick, smoother
* Supported file formats (wav, mp3, ogg, aiff, au, vox, mat, snd, voc, raw binary data, text data, and more)
* File format plug-ins for the next generation of audio compression, such as WMA, Ogg Vorbis, and FLAC.
* DirectX Audio Plug-in hosting
* Effect chain editor
* Audio CD Reader
* Batch processing and conversion
* Drag-and-drop cue points, with auto-cue and file splitting features.
* Direct waveform editing with the mouse
* Customizable tool bars
* Customizable waveform colours
* Clean, friendly, easy-to-use interface.
* Several built-in accessibility features and keyboard shortcuts
* Excellent value

thanks for the help. i am going to check into both and see if they work for me.

I'd have to add a vote for GoldWave. I'm using it to transfer some old LP's to CD's. Works very well, although I've heard that the noise reduction has a tendency to be a little destructive to the wave file. It's batch process is a god send and it can seperate/lablel the tracks too.

Audacity is an open source wave editor and has quite a following of professional users/programmers. Which means lots of support and plug-ins for generating sounds.

I've tried both and found GoldWave to be the best for what I'm doing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back