ATIKMPAG.sys BSOD on Xfired Windows 7 machine

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey guys,
Two days ago I got a BSOD thinking it must have just been a glitch of some sort. I was doing nothing on the PC, just web browsing. I didn't feel like turning the PC on again so I just left it, then yesterday the same thing happened. Again, while doing nothing more than web browsing.

Unless my computer updated itself the current set up has worked before. I haven't changed anything on the computer hardware-wise or program wise since I installed the second graphics card.

The error on the BSOD references atikmpag.sys
My setup is 2X 5770, MSI 890GXM G65 mobo, 8gb Ram, 4 SATA HDDs, 950W PC P&C Silencer MKII PSU, Phenom II 955BE.

Does anybody have an idea as to why this would be happening? Nothing is overclocked on the computer either.

Thanks,
Jack

Is this the system you just added ram to?

If so the sticks may not all be compatible with each other.

Is this the system you just added ram to?

If so the sticks may not all be compatible with each other.
Nope, thats the Media PC. This is my desktop. I don't know why it's giving me this error, hardware wise it has worked well in the current setup. I had it off for a week while I was on vacation and when I got back it started acting up. I don't think that I applied any graphics driver updates but I could be misremembering. Would that be a cause?

make sure you have the most current ati drivers.

Beyond that video drivers are the ones most likely to cause bsods :)

futher options will require me to be sober...

Read the minidumps if there are some...if you do not know how to read dump files then download this program which will read the dump file for you.

WhoCrashed

Hey Guys,
I guess it was the ATI drivers, I rolled them back to April's drivers. Seems to be stable now. I still don't understand why it broke just out of the blue though...
Thanks for your help.

bug in the code.
Well guys the problem isn't fixed apparently...
Same error message in the BSOD but I ran the "Who Crashed" program and it says:

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071811-23259-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgkrnl.sys (dxgkrnl+0x5D000)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8008E59010, 0xFFFFF8800439545C, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: DirectX Graphics Kernel
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by

another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
Google query: dxgkrnl.sys Microsoft Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

I've included the full "Who Crashed" Report.
I was using firefox at the time of the crash (As with all the crashes) by the way, my 2nd GPU turns on when firefox is in use. It says something about directx being the cause but where would I find an update to Direct X?

Thanks,
Jack

I'm currently using the computer in Safe Mode with networking without any problems.

EDIT:
I used driver sweep and "cleaned" all the ATI drivers and it seems to be working, of course I haven't any functionality (no GPU stats in AMD Overdrive, no CCC) And the problem hasn't happened so far (in normal mode). I guess I'll add the ati driver back, maybe starting with an old version?

Attachments

• BSOD dxgkrnl.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Rolled the driver back to one released in January, it worked for all of last night. No problems. Then this morning I bring it out of sleep and <5 minutes into using it I got the error of ATI Driver has stopped responding and recovered, then instantly a BSOD citing atikmpag.sys

I just don't get it. I've rolled the driver back past drivers I know have worked and I don't understand why it's sporadic... I would contact Sapphire (who make my cards) or ATI but I doubt they would help me.

Rolling back is not as good as uninstall/clean out/reinstall.

If you know for sure a driver version that worked then uninstall drivers/clean out and reinstall that version of driver.

Rolling back is not as good as uninstall/clean out/reinstall.

If you know for sure a driver version that worked then uninstall drivers/clean out and reinstall that version of driver.
Thats what I meant I was doing.
I was uninstalling and re-installing.
Thats what I was confused about though, I had reinstalled drivers I know had worked.
For the moment I went to a version AMD released 2 days ago that I hadn't tried yet. Its working right now but I don't think I have CCC running right now, kinda scared to open it.
Thanks

About the error code you are receiving and steps to resolve (click on Resolving STOP (Blue Screen) Errors in Windows).

Bug Check 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Also, I have seen this error appear on systems that were overheating whether the CPU, GPU and/or motherboard.

I guess I can try checking the memory and the HDD, I've already updated the driver as you know.
I read that it could have been something overheating as well, I checked my temps and the GPU (the hot one) is running at 46-50C, the CPU runs at its normal 30C, I didn't check the mobo specifically but I think I would have noticed if it were above normal temps.

Well,
I got another BSOD even with the new driver and CCC installed. Now I have restored my computer to 10 days ago (hopefully before the problem started?) just to try it. And I have also performed a memory check (6 passes) and a HDD check. Both turned up normal. Is it possible that Firefox would be causing this issue?
It seems like I'm always using firefox when it crashes, but I usually always have a firefox window open when I'm using my PC so its hard to tell.
Maybe I'll just switch to chrome or something for now, see if it makes a difference.
Thanks,
Jack

Ok, did a fresh install of Windows 7.
And it was working without CCC installed, then I got risky and installed CCC, as soon as I clicked the CrossfireX options the computer got a BSOD. I'm running it right now with the new card by itself in the computer and it seems to be working, will do the same with the old card to rule out hardware. Then will try to run crossfire again. At this point, im hoping that my other (old) card is dead/dying, its still under warranty and it would be a simple fix at this point...

EDIT:
So it seems the problem is finally fixed. Unfortunately I don't know what I did to fix it. It crashed after the clean install so it can't have been that. What I did do though is remove any sort of driver regarding ATI and reinstall the newest version of CCC as I did before. I don't know if maybe they just released a new version of CCC or something but I don't have that anymore its now called AMD Vision Engine Control or something like that. Maybe thats the answer. I also told Windows to not update anything other than the OS and Office. Thanks for all your help guys! I think the solution was a variation of what AZ said. I won't hesitate to post again if the problems come back!

Last edited:
Well, my problem isn't fixed at all...
I'll include a dmp file with this post maybe it would help.
Also maybe it's a problem caused by adobe flash player? Could it's hardware acceleration setting be crashing the computer? I've turned it off so I guess I'll see if thats the issue.
Thanks again.

Also, I noticed that the Bios version of the cards is different.
The first card is running 012.020.000.032 and the second card is running BIOS version 012.020.000.025
I wouldn't even begin to know how to update bios on the cards though.

Attachments

• 080811-24460-01 Dump File.zip
    29.1 KB · Views: 105
  • WER-32916-0.sysdata.zip
    13.1 KB · Views: 95
You may be able to get further help on the bsods over at Windows Vista/Windows 7 Support - Tech Support Forum

I used their archives to solve a few of my own bsods before I got to the need to post anything :)
Its weird, because it seems that there could be a million things causing this problem. I am currently talking with sapphire and I don't know why they haven't mentioned driver yet, but they seem to think its a hardware problem with the motherboard or the crossfire cable. I have another cable and when I get back to my desktop in a week I'll try it out, though I doubt that is the issue.

Thats probably because the driver is the hardest thing to get changed in a time period useful to you.

XFX went so far as to offer me a discount on one of their ATI models to solve a bsod and other issues in the nvidia drivers for me (I have an XFX GTX260). A Later patch to the game triggering the issue solved on problem and a later nvidia driver solved the bsod but that was a several month wait.

Thats probably because the driver is the hardest thing to get changed in a time period useful to you.

XFX went so far as to offer me a discount on one of their ATI models to solve a bsod and other issues in the nvidia drivers for me (I have an XFX GTX260). A Later patch to the game triggering the issue solved on problem and a later nvidia driver solved the bsod but that was a several month wait.
Well, we'll see if its the drivers. I hope its not. I just RMA'd both cards (I doubt its both) and hopefully they find an error and return me new cards or better yet offer me an upgrade (or my money back).
Other than that I hope its not my mobo. or my ram (although the ram test I did returned no bad results). I even went about removing one of my monitors to see if it was that causing the problem. Someone said that the standard clock speeds would idle to low to handle two monitors but it didn't make a difference.
Crossed fingers that its hardware, or I'm out 20 bucks and a couple weeks for no reasons.

It is most likely software but tdr errors could be hardware based. Most times I got those a later patch to the game fixed them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back