ATI Video Card Recommendation

I play NFS:MW at 1600x1200 on my 7800GTX (AA off mind - AF is at defaults) and its smooth as butter so it should be the same for you being as the cards perorm within a frame or two of eiach other most of the time.

One thing to watch for is the delay on the "fancy lighting stuff that half life 2 lost coast uses but I forgot the name to" aka FLSTHL2LCUBIFTNT. It's a killer on tight bends or hill crests with a tight bend withing 2 seconds of the exit/crest.

One word sums up game play. WOW. You can actually tell the difference. It's amazing. No dragging down at the bottom of the screen. Faster too. The cars get moving.

This weekend I am going to reformat and setup my dual displays. Is it Friday yet?

It can be Friday if you take the rest of the week off :p

Since I have today/tomorrow off, for me today is Saturday :smoker:

Too true.

I heart my X1800XT. 16X-6X all high quality settings, 1280X1024. No lag. :D

madmatt said:
One word sums up game play. WOW. You can actually tell the difference. It's amazing. No dragging down at the bottom of the screen. Faster too. The cars get moving.

This weekend I am going to reformat and setup my dual displays. Is it Friday yet?

Formatting and getting into a workable setup should not take more than an hour typically, if you have everything setup correctly.

Usually takes me about 2 hrs or so to get everything I need, cept a few rarely-used apps and choons.

I am glad you like the card :)

Next time you're tearing your hair out, ask me first numbnuts :smoker:

Saz, with my slipstreamed install (which does a lot of the applications as well) it takes about two hours. Organizing and setting up every thing the way I want it takes another hour.

The card is awesome. Thank you for your help (I just hate to be a bother).

hehe, you guys are lucky... It jusually takes my comp about 35 mins to format the stinken hard drive alone :eek: Yeah, I need a newer one... It's usually about 1 hour 15 mins - 1.5 hours just to get Windows installed. The system drive was bought in 2000 though, so...

Though workable, until all the drivers/patches are applied, I wouldn't call it done. The apps can wait till they're needed. Funny thing is, the 10k rpm drive was fast in it's day, now the newer Cheetah X10s are about 3x faster in benchies...

30 mins to format? Do I see someone not using the NTFS (quick) option here?

I'd rather do a thorough NTFS format personally... But all said, it's largely that my Cheetah x10 only has a sustained transfer rate of about 34-35 MB/sec, as was measured by Adaptec SCSIbench 32 when I first got the thing. The new Cheetah x10s are claimed to be at a sustained transfer of about 87 MB/sec, or somewhere around there as I remember. Even some newer atapi 7200 rpm HDs that are on market now, get better transfer speeds then my dated x10 drive here...

Such is the nature of technology, what was high end when it was bought... The actual setup latter on, says 35 minutes for the copying of files and setting stuff up, but I think that takes a slight bit longer then that too. And I'm not talking a part of setup that includes user interaction, which isn't much time at all on my part...

I don't have the money now, but my system drive should be upgraded soon, and yeah a new video card is high on the priority list now (when I get it), as I've already replaced the CPU, mobo, and upgraded the RAM, as well as having gotten an external 100 GB drive (which I needed for lab work last semester), which I'm using for space now...

BTW, the actually 92.6 GB (as calculated by the OS) USB 2 drive, takes less time to format then the 37.6 GB internal SCSI drive the system is installed on, using same formatting method/filesystem type...

you dont need to do a thorough - all it does is waste your time. Its not a secure data erase.

Exactly.

I only ever do a thorough format if I have a brand-new drive.

Otherwise its much the same thing. Just much longer.

I know it isn't a secure erase :D But if I understand correctly, it does check for bad sectors... As I said, it's an old drive (5+ years old), and has also gone out of warranty a few months ago... Because of it's age, I'm somewhat hesitant, which is also why I started transfering all my data over to the new drive, after I checked it out ;)

Given I run 24/7, and also while my memory was tight it was swapping like crazy, a lot of wear and tear has been put on the thing...

BTW, for comparison also, the newer drive which formats in less time is also 7200 rpm, but no doubt faster then my now antequated Cheetah x10...

doesnt even check for bad sectors either. it just writes 00 to every bit on the disk.

Dont bother with thourouh format - its even less usefull on new disks. Use the manufacturer tools for bad disk detection and reallocation, and something like spinrite for data recovery.

Good information, thank you. I've always done the slow wipe.

Is a quick format even good in instances of viruses/malware infested machines? Good for Windows 2000 installs?

You wipe the hdd either way. If you have a really bad boot-sector virus I would probably do the slow format.

Sit outside and watch the grass grow.

I woulda thought, when a sector couldn't be worked with, after repeated attempts, it would get "marked bad"...

Hmm... The drive itself has a number of spare sectors, and does some auto-remapping of bad sectors, so there's no software that shipped with the drive for doing this (unless it's software housed in the drive itself), or so I remeber having read. Perhaps I should check up on this a bit more...

I can definitely say 2 things here. My 2 Cheetahs were bought in December 2000 (the Ultra160 LVD SCSI drive), and June May 1998 (the Ultra 2 Wide/LVD SCSI drive). They're obviously d*mn good drives to have lasted this long, as from my experience hardware can start going before then...

That said, there is some thinking towards them getting on in years/general wear and tear. The only thing older in my box now, is a Teac floppy drive which I got back in 1997.

A gfx card I bought back in 1998 (the Voodoo 3 3000) I had given to my father in 2000 or 2001 when I upgraded from a Pentium II to an Athlon. I rebuilt my old PC (upgrading the RAM, and swapping the PII 400 for a Celery 700, got new components such as hard drive for what I was taking, and shipped). At the time, he still had a Pentium 166 with some S3 Virge the OEM stuck him with :eek: He told me his gfx is going on the blink, and was trying to re-format, change drivers, and nothing worked. He finally called me.

First question outa my mouth: Is this happening in Windows only, or are you seeing this when you boot? (You see, I already had an idea, what it might be, but needed some info.)

He told me it happens when he first turns it on. I asked if before he loads the system, and when we got down to it, yes, when the comp is in BIOS doing POST.

I promptly told him that there's nothing wrong with his OS install, and reinstalling it and everything won't do a thing. The card I passed on to him was bought in 1998 and has gotten on in years. Sorry, when I shipped the thing to you, the gfx card was fine, or I wouldn't have shipped it, but unfortunately, I think your video card is dieing.

Oh, BTW, he had also in the interum upgraded his monitor, and it didn't do a thing to correct this either. It was more a cold boot, though hitting the reset button a few times, it then could come back up. Well it's either that, or the mobo, but I have a sneaking suspiscion with all he said, about that now almost 8 year old gfx card. Unfortunately he doesn't have the money...so if I get the money for a new gfx card, I think I'll just send him my Radeon 9600 for now. Should hold him for awhile. I don't even care about trying to get some recompensation for the card, especially given he's helped me get through college and all :)

As good as it does suggest the drives are, it also means they have thus far lasted longer then some hardware has, out on the market now. So yeah, it's a thought ;)

Seagate Scis drives are damn reliable. Scsi drives use the low level format of the controller to find and realloate bad blocks. Seagate will also have softwre for download.

MadMatt, quick format does 2 things:

If Fat32: erases bootsector and writes a fresh mbr. Writes a fresh empty FAT and Duplicates it.

If NTFS: erases bootsector and writes a fresh mbr, Writes an empty MFT, Journal log and MFT mirror to the disk.

In both cases, as far as the filesystems are concerned the disks are now empty and clean of any viruses that may have been present.

I don't recall ever seeing a quick format option in windows 2000 setup.

Lord, thank you for the explaination.

It isn't an option on all setups but I have seen it (I swear). Maybe it depends on the hard drive itself?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back