ATI Radeon X800 Released

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by melon, May 5, 2004.

1. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

I tried submitting this via the "News Submission Page," but all I got were stupid errors telling me that I cannot be logged in twice, even though I logged out of everything. :p

But here you are for your reading pleasure.

http://www.ati.com/companyinfo/press/2004/4750.html

Melon

2. NerdUprising

NerdUprising [ Method ]

*gasp* :eek: !

3. Terrahertz

Terrahertz Extinction Agenda Political User Folding Team

Man this is what Ive been waiting for. Sweet lord these cards are beast. With AF enabled the graphics are blessed.

4. Petros

Petros Thief IV

ATI's Richard Huddy, Director of European Developer Relations, talked to Elite Bastards about some pretty funny marketing tricks they used to fleece NVidia.

5. Black-Syth

Black-Syth Comalies

I saw the benchies on THG a couple of weeks ago. The ATi Radeon X800 XT and the 6800U are insanely fast cards. Apparently the XT is only marginally faster. My 9700Pro is still doing fine with my overclocked Pentium 4, but when it's time to buy a new graphics card, these guys and their successors look to be great choices.

6. Teddy

Teddy Boogie Nights...!

"Richard Huddy: It was always a smokescreen. It takes so long to build this hardware that you'd amazed it managed to fool anyone. There are people who believe that we cut and paste the extra 4 pipelines in about a month ago. They're wrong - by many months!

It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."

Sneaky.

7. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

X800 PRO $399 at CDW. Not a bad new release price compared to the rumors on 6800 pricing.

Once again Nvidia announces promises and ATI puts product on the shelves.

8. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

What I'm wondering is what other versions will be coming out. If they do something like X810 or X900 or something and how those will be.

9. Doom

Doom OSNN Senior Addict

I thought Nvidia would trash ATI this time round so looks like I'll be upgrading from my 9800pro to the X800 XT instead of the nvidia one. Well done ATI. Mind you I hope they sort out the problems they have with thier drivers, openGL implimentation etc. Over on the rage 3d forum all I seem to read about their drivers seems bad and in my experience nvidia do win with thier drivers. I hope ATI catch up soon.

10. indyjones

indyjones OSNN.net Adventurer

Doom its interesting what you said about the Ati drivers being bad as when I had my nvidia geforce 1 (oh yes) and geforce 3 ti200 I had loads of problems first was that silly annoying 60hz refresh rate bug, but rather more shocking was performance changed by leapsand bound by what driver you used.
    With ati I have yet to have a problem (save with call of duty which was rapidly fixed).

11. Terrahertz

Terrahertz Extinction Agenda Political User Folding Team

Anyone knows when the 512 version is suppose to hit?

Yeah Nvidia has good drivers but in no way without its issues. ATI I must admit has been doing a great job compared to the old days.

12. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Yeah. Ati's drivers have improved greatly.

13. Muppet

Muppet Somebody cut my strings.

The only problem is which one to buy I have my evil eye on both the NVIDIA and ATI cards and although both of these cards are great I just cannot make up my mind which one to get. I will at the end of the day be the ATI which will win me over but I cannot help gazing dribbling uncontrollably at the NVIDIA card...

14. Muppet

Muppet Somebody cut my strings.

I build and customize High-End machines as a hoby and both of these cards would look great in there...