ATI 9600XT freezing problem

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by jimi_81, Sep 19, 2004.

1. jimi_81

jimi_81 Moderator Political User

Hi guys

Ever since I updated to windows xp sp2, my ati 9600xt card has been freezing up on me whenever i play games like...call of duty, true crime, codename vietnam, etc...

ive been looking all over google to see if anyone else is having this problem. sure enough, there are.

i formatted and reinstalled everything because i suspected maybe directX was messed... same thing, 5 minutes in, freeze. randomly freezing.

i gave up on the ati catalyst drivers, and then isntalled the omega set.
    Now the freezing is gone. i just cleared 3 boards on call of duty, and no crashing.

the omega setup is nice, however i get the feeling im loading drivers that wont use the card to whatever potential it has...... a little disappointed... as far as ati's site, there is no mention of the problem, i submitted a problem report to their driver team....i hope this gets corrected. i think its the opengl driver, or the fastwrite option...omega gave me a set of recommendations for max. compatibility.

i just wanted to see if anyone in here has the same problem, and maybe found an alternative different then i did.

thanks

specs - 3.2ghz P4, P4C800-DX, 1 GB ddr3200 ram, ati retail 9600xt

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

What version of ATI's driver were you using? Have you tried the new Control Centre 4.8 or 4.9 driver?

What version of Omega get it working?

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

the omega drivers should operate as well as the ati drivers wrt functionality...

I don't think you need to worry about that :)

as long as the product itself is working fine thats what counts :cool:

4. jimi_81

jimi_81 Moderator Political User

i had the newest driver/control panel.. 4.9.
    games run perfect now.

im on the omega 4.8s