Athlon vs PIII

T

Trinity

Hello all, I'm new to this forum...just found this site today, it's really great!!

Here's my problem (or complaint), I recently upgraded my computer from a PIII 800 mhz to an Athlon XP 1800. I only really changed the cpu and mb and added additional ram this time, had upgraded the powersupply and hard drive a month or so previous. But anyway, I do a lot of video capturing with my computer, like TV shows, so it's approx a 1/2 hour show broken into three parts (cutting commercials) and then I compress with Virtual Dub. Previous to my upgrade I could compress two sections at once along with doing other things at the same time-burning cd's, word processing, web surfing, ect without having any problems with my compressed files. The other day I watched a part I had compressed and I found that it had artifacts or glitches on the video. I went to the same part on the uncompressed section of video and it looked fine, I've been only compressing one section at a time now without doing anything else to bother it and they seem to be turning out ok. So I guess I was wondering if anyone else had seen this happen or have problems like this, I'm assuming it's a slight difference in the coding of AMD compared to Intel or maybe I've caused a bottleneck in my system. (Sorry for such a lengthy first post, and thanks in advance!)

Here's my specs
Athlon 1800, Abit KT7A
1024 PC133
WD 100gb 7200rpm (w/8mb cache)
32mb ATI All-in-Wonder
Sound Blaster Live value
XP Pro

I have no clue but I saw that you're new to XP-erience and wanted to welcome you :)

Be prepared for a war with this thread...the famous AMD v. Intel :rolleyes: :p

it also would be good to know what format you are compressing them into, for example DIVX 5.0.2 is much faster and cleaner than DIVX 5.0 and Quicktime.

yes you'll be singing alright, cause if you do it in the morning the thing will BLOW up by afternoon... AMD ROCKS!!!

HAHAHAHAHA the post I was referring to has been removed... somone said to re-install the intel chip and MB... and he'd be singing...

:D

I dunno man.. maybe you did something wrong? I used to have a PIII 933 and upgraded to an athlon xp 2000... best thing i ever did.. maybe it could be your SDRam to.. try switching to DDR.. that will kick it up a notch
- Mike

definantly use ddr ram with that proccessor...it needs the speed...
sd ram jus isn't enouf

Yeah.. you are causing the bottleneck with the SDRAM.. DDR would probably fix your problem
- Mike

Thanks for all your advice, I was afraid my ram or video card could be slowing me down...Someone asked what I was compressing to also, I'm using Divx 4.02 low motion. I'm still playing around with the computer, speed-wise I'm happy with it...and great prices on the Athlon processors.

I would suggest getting DIVX 5.0.2, it's faster and cleaner than 4.02

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back