Athlon vs. Pentium 4 (and why I switched)

S

SeekAndDestroy

First, you may want to read my original posts to get some background to this situation if you are not already familiar with it.

http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15943&perpage=15&pagenumber=5

Basically, I was one a HUGE AMD advocate. True, at one time they had a hold of Intel by the 'nads, but now things have changed. Some things happened recently, and I bought a Pentium 4 this past weekend. In a nutshell, I went the Intel way because I had a total of 3 different Athlons, all eventually going bad. A friend of mine recently replaced his XP 1800+ with a P4 for similar reasons and saw a big difference. And when that last 2000+ went bad on me, i decided to take the plunge.

I purchased:

Intel Pentium 4 Retail box @2.26GHz
Asus P4s533 Motherboard
512MB PC-2700 Samsung memory

All i can say is WOW! This thing is wicked smooth, runs cool as hell, (@38-40c, as opposed to 65c on the last Athlon 2000+ I had), and I can safely say I will not being building any Athlon systems in the near future, for myself or anybody else. I am really pleased with the performance and feel of this pc now. The few dollars more i paid for the P4 were definately worth it.

Now I realize I'm gonna catch some crap from some of you AMD fanatics, but Lets try to keep THIS thread somewhat civilized...(eh..eh...cough...catch23...cough cough...)

I though some of you may want to see some benchmarks, so I put them up on my web page. Please excuse the horrifying picture of me at the top.....

My P4 Bench Page

Nice Seek. Welcome to OUR side...

Check this out this will really make you nipples hard.

BOOM!

*cough* I will stay with AMD so i can afford to go on holiday, P4's cost too damn much for my liking.

Yeh i would love a P4 with RAMBUS & a high FSB, but i aint loaded, I got bills to pay :(

thats the reason a lot of people go amd. because its a huge cost difference. if intel lowered their cpu prices, i'm sure they would have more market share than they have now.

btw grinder, your avatar kicks ass.

Nice to see a Pro P4 thread started for once. By the way, nice P4 page. Remember 0.09 micron is the magic number.:D :D :D

if i had the ca$h.....

i would have a P4 system instead of my loud ass Athlon system, either that or i would have an athlon 2200+ with water cooling, and overclocked to $hit, hehe

RaZoR

AMD water cooler

;)
final_opensm.jpg

Ah yes now you are on the Light side of the Force!!

Intel Rocks

i'm on a pentium 4 1.8 ghz williamte and it also kicks, out of the 7 years that i have seen computers i've never had problems with an intel. I understand amd makes processors cheaper and some are fast, but pentium's are worth its money, it might be expensive but right you can buy a 2.4 ghz pentium 4 for the same price as a athlon xp 2400+ its about $193 correct me if i'm wrong. also i've seen some details on the new pentium's coming out the second quater of 2002, and they seem to gonna kick ass. imagine and they actually mentioned this believed in some page. Pentium 5' 4 ghz, 1mb l2 cache 666 mhz or 667 mhz fsb for 2nd quater 2003. hopefully its true.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back