ATA Speeds

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi
I have two hard drives both Maxtor.

The first (older one) is 20 gig 7,200 RPM 2 meg ATA 66

Second newer 60 gig 7,200 RPM 2 meg ATA 133

will i knowtice THAT MUCH speed diffrence between them??
I am running them both off a highpoint 133 raid controller (though not in a raid configuration) which is built into my abit KR7A -133R motherboard.

The reason is i want 6 partions
Windows - currently 6 gig
music & films - i have at least 30 gig
games
pagefile
downloads
and backups installs

Any help (mainly on the hdd speed difference) will be very much appreciated

:)

Speed of your old drive is doubled in the new one, however, depending on how you partition these, and which drive Windows is gonna sit on will prove the deciding factor.....U putting them on the same cable??

:D you heard of folders? :p

the ata133 drive would be noticeably faster simply because it's newer and will have a faster seek time and everything else. the transfer speed will also help a little bit, though it's not actually twice as fast.

Come on folders are useless :p

You think the drive will be fine for running windows though

Given that the ATA66 standard equates to a max of 66MB/s, what do you think the 133 in ATA133 stands for then Taurus? :p

I agree that there may be overheads involved, and at the end of the day were not talking SCSI or SATA, but 133 is the theoretical max burst throughput offered by this standard, and the performance drop will be negligible, after all, you can't actually notice a great deal of speed difference between ATA100/ATA133

It's true you may get around 90MB/s from an ATA100drive, but I would recommend some IOSS RD3 Gladiator ATA cables...they rock man, and can even give 30% performance increases due to reduced crosstalk...find out more here

With regard to folders, anyone running a single partition over 20GB is gonna run into problems over time.....ain't fragmentation a *****. As for running a 60GB partition lol.......now where did I put that file???:happy:

Given that both drives have an rpm of 7200 i wouldn't expect a whole lotta difference on the access times probably +/- .5ms

Further reading....

Try here

or here

...or even here ;)

Thanks erbmaster i had a feeling that i would not knowtice the difference :) as the difference in seek times etc would be lost when there are more partions and files to actully search through!
Will have to have a think about how i will restruture my drive now :) thinking

20 gig hdd
Windows 6 gig
Downloads 2~3 gig
BAckups installs and maybe movies the rest.

60 gig hdd
1.5~2gig for pagefile
30 gig music
the rest games and junk

good config ???

Originally posted by Erbmaster
Given that the ATA66 standard equates to a max of 66MB/s, what do you think the 133 in ATA133 stands for then Taurus? :p

I agree that there may be overheads involved, and at the end of the day were not talking SCSI or SATA, but 133 is the theoretical max burst throughput offered by this standard, and the performance drop will be negligible, after all, you can't actually notice a great deal of speed difference between ATA100/ATA133
yeah, that's what i mean.

looks like a good config, indyjones.

Many thanks all! i consider myself re-educated in terms of swap files:cool:

Will sort this out saturday consider this tread ended and once again thanks :happy:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back