ATA 100 problems

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Carbonize, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Carbonize

Carbonize Guest

I have a very strange problem in XP. When I check the primary ide properties (Device Manager -> ide ATA/ATAPI controllers -> Primary IDE Channel) I cannot see the harddrive. It says

Device 0:
    Device Type: Auto detection
    Transfer Mode: DMA if available
    Current Transfer Mode: Not Applicable (Sholdn't my harddrive be here :confused: )

Device 1:
    Device Type: Auto detection
    Transfer Mode: DMA if available
    Current Transfer Mode: Not Applicable

When I tried to install the VIA IDE miniport driver, my computer froze on the boot screen. Anybody have a clue as to what is wrong?

My computer setup:
    Asus A7V (KT133)
    IBM Deskstar 41 GB (Actually 39 usable. Why do the harddrive never hold what it says on the label :mad: )
    Athlon T-bird 1000MHz

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

In device manager, your hard drive should be listed under 'disk drives.' The reason it's not showing up under your IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers is, I believe, because it's attached to the 'SCSI and RAID Controllers. That's the way mine is because I actually have 4 IDE channels... 2 on ata/atapi, and 2 on the scsi/raid side. I haven't researched your board, so i'm guessing you have either the highpoint or promise onboard raid.

3. Carbonize

Carbonize Guest

That might be it. I do find a scsi controller, though I cannot fint the UDMA Mode settings? Why does'n these show up like in the IDE controller?

4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

You'll need to access your controller's bios to set/determine your drive's mode.