Asus A7N8X NO POWER, HELP!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by RefluxT, Jan 6, 2003.

1. RefluxT

RefluxT Guest

Hey all -

I just replaced a motherboard and cpu. I thought at first it was the power supply going to the old mb and cpu, I tried buying a new one and it didnt do the trick. So I bought a new mb and cpu and still NOTHING, wont even boot! I even went and bought another power supply. The weird thing is, the motherboard has a glowing led on it, kinda like power is going to it. I push the front switch, nothing happens. I try to plug it in with the power supply on, nothing happens. what could it be?

here's my specs just in case:

Antec power supply (brand new)

Asus A7N8X Deluxe (brand new)
    AMD XP 2600+ (brand new)
    Crucial 512Mb (brand new)
    32MB GeForce2MX

Please help!! :)

2. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

My first thought would be to make sure the switch is plugged in to the proper place on the MOBO.

3. RefluxT

RefluxT Guest

Checked that, its plugged in nice and snug.

Ive tried turning everything off and then turning it on from just the power switch on the back too.

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Make sure you have the right power setting on the power supply if there is one.

5. RefluxT

RefluxT Guest

Switch it to over to 115 instead of 230 right?

Im not sure what to switch it to..

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Well in Australia I would use the 230. We are on 240 volt over here. Depends on your country. Make sure before you turn it on again. You will cause major damage otherwise.

7. RefluxT

RefluxT Guest

A roo!! :)

I dunno what to do. I hope I didnt bust the cpu or something when I installed it. That heatsink did go on a little tight. Is it possible to crack those puppies?

8. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

take the mobo out of the case and lay it on a static bag then put your video card in and your cpu and your hsf, and ram. then get something metal and short your power button jumper if it turns on then that means u have a short in your case somewhere and u need to find it b4 u burn your board up trying to get it to power on. if it still doesn't work then the problem lies somewhere else bad ram maybe or a bad video card.

9. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

you would know if u broke the cpu die it would feels like sand is between the HSF and the cpu and it would make a crack noise right when it happen. I know how that goes sadly :(

10. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

that's exactly what i do when i have this kind of problem.

11. RefluxT

RefluxT Guest

:( i dunt want that to happen. so, how do i go about shortin out the jumper again? is it somewhere around where i plug in the power supply?

12. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

if you live around australia or india then 230 if around united states then 110

also on your mother board follow the wire from the power button on your case to ur mobo and try turning the plug on the mobo around...

13. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

look in your users manual it will show u where your power button and speaker button and all that stuff should plug into the board find where the power button one is and touch the two goldish prongs with the screw driver

14. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

work? yes? no? any of the suggestions?..

15. RefluxT

RefluxT Guest

Havnt had a chance to try anything, Im at work. :*( I will try within the next couple hours or so, and give an update as soon as I can. Thanks for all help people!!!!!!!! Much appreciated.

16. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

If you can't get it to start, then start pulling things out. Try starting with only mobo, CPU and RAM. The computer should at least start and then complain about the missing video card. ;)

17. RefluxT

RefluxT Guest

The power switch lead was placed incorrectly on my motherboard. I was hoping it was something cool, but it seems it was something rather simple.

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE SUGGESTIONS!!

Looks like xsivforce was on the money...

18. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Yay, I did something right. :happy:
    Glad you got it sorted. :cool: