Associations no longer associate...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by MiseryQ, Dec 22, 2001.

1. MiseryQ

MiseryQ Guest

Auto cad took control of my SCR files and wont let go...

What do you associate these file with?!?

Is there a repair option?!?
  2. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

I always thought SCR files were screensavers, so they don't need to be associated.
  3. MiseryQ

MiseryQ Guest

SCRs ARE screen savers but in the process of transfering some over to my server I could not click on theme and get them to "open"... They would open in notepad and try to print 30 some odd pages of garbled garbly gook...

The files were associated to AutoCad... Did some reasearch and SCRs are used for others things...

It's trivial but it bothers me...
  4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

If you're not actively using the SCR association in autocad (double clicking on these files to open them in autocad), open windows explorer, go to tools> folder optoins> file types, find the SCR association and delete it.

AutoCad might reassociate everytime it's launched (might not) so you'll need to find it's association properties within the program and turn it off.

In my association list, SCR isn't represented at all so I'm guessing the Screen Saver association is an internal one.
  5. MiseryQ

MiseryQ Guest

I searched the registry on both the workstation and server and found under ".scr" under HKCR... The data of the Xp 'puter was "AutoCad" I changed it to "scrfile" which is what is the 2k 'puter... a reboot I'll tell...
  6. MiseryQ

MiseryQ Guest

Not only do my *.SCRs not work my VBSs don't work either...

Got to be some utility somewhere to fix associations...

I got File Association Editor and have the two extensions set exactly the same on my Xp machine as my 2k machine, nothing...