ASPI Drivers

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Hipster Doofus, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

OK I have loaded the driver now where do I go to see the version that is installed? I ain't got a clue. :rolleyes:

2. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

check adaptec's site for a program called aspichk32. It should tell you about what you have installed

or just download Nero's aspi layer and throw it in your win32 dir.

3. Hipster Doofus

O right. I already have that checker. Forgot about it. :rolleyes: Thought it would be on the system somewhere. Thanx. :)

4. dreamliner77

no problem. no charge this time

5. Hipster Doofus

Doesn't make sense to me. With xp I think only two files get installed. It is working OK.....well it hasn't given me any grief but the checker says it is not installed properly.

6. dreamliner77

7. Hipster Doofus

Before starting this thread I did a forum search & found this page. I downloaded 'force aspi' & everything else there. :D I'll run that & see what it does........later today.

[edit] I won't run it. Just as I hit submit I remembered they are 4.60. I have 4.71.

I'll do that google. :D :D

[edit edit] OK I'll forget google & hit that link instead. :D :D :D

8. Hipster Doofus

Followed the link & found that I already downloaded the file. I think it still has the older driver. Might try & see if I can get 4.71 in there some how. Thanx for the help. Will keep trying to sort it out. :)

9. dreamliner77

4.60 is generally considered the better ASPI layer. Newer is not always better.

10. Hipster Doofus

Yeah I've only tried the later driver. It works OK it's just that stupid checker that says it not..............but it is. :rolleyes:

11. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

You only need the first and last files, the two in the middle don't apply. And for XP I would go for at least 4.70. No need for ForceASPI, Apaptec now allows use of it's ASPI for anyone, might as well get it from the source..

Was there a specific reason you need an additional ASPI layer?

12. Hipster Doofus

I went back to 4.6. Heard some horror stories about 4.7 with xp but I found it OK. I'm trying a new burning program, burnatonce. Great little program. Freeware of course.

13. RogerPhillis

RogerPhillis Guest

Have the same problem as Hipster , run Aspichk and you get an error message on installation of aspi files.
    Have tried to run a program from Grc .com that relies on Aspi layer to check the performance of zip discs.
    Neither Aspi 4.60 or 4.71/2 have initialled on XP correctly, to allow recognition of the zip drive on this program.
    Even forcing them makes no diff.

Worked fine in Win 98

14. Hipster Doofus

Did you use Force ASPI? If so in the folder you will find 'killaspi.bat'. Try running that to remove aspi, reboot, then run 'instaspi.bat' to install 4.6.