ASP Problem for ASP Guru

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by digitalmelon, Aug 27, 2002.

1. digitalmelon

digitalmelon Guest

Ok here is the scenario.

I have a five step registration process. Hence I am using 5 forms. When each form is submitted the data from the form is posted to the database and the user is then sent to the next form. The problem I have having is between forms 1 and 2. When form 1 is posted to the database with the persons personal information including username and password they are given an ID number(autonumber - MS Access DB). The problem is that I need that ID number in the second form. This is how I get the ID number from the DB:

//////////////////

Set rs = Server.Createobject("ADODB.Recordset")
    sql2 = "SELECT * FROM DEL_TABLE"
    rs.open sql2,conn,3,3
    rs.movelast
    ID = rs("ID")
    rs.close
    set rs=nothing
    Application.Unlock

'FOR DEBUGGING
    'response.write SQL

response.redirect "regstep2.asp?ID=" & ID

//////////////////

Heres the problem. If I let it run the way it is above and move to the next form then the SQL statement does NOT post the data to the database. BUT, if I comment out the response.redirect and uncomment the response.write SQL then it DOES post the data to the database.

Can anyone of you ASP gurus out there make any sense of that? I hope this makes some sense.

Thanks in advance

2. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

i'm not entirly sure what you mean.

If you just comment the redirect, and leave the write commented, does it work?

you only need to get the id on the second form, so why does it run in the first form?

anychance of getting a look at the whole page code?

just an FYI, if you select MAX(ID) instead of * you will just return the most recent id and not the whole table, it will be quicker

3. digitalmelon

digitalmelon Guest

4. Khayman

I'm sorry, i seem to have lost what the problem is, and its hard to tell without seing the code. Let me see if i can't work out whats going on

you have one page that takes user details in a form using <form> tags?

does the "action" property send the data to the same page?
    if so why not send it direct to the second page, then get the id number, then you won't have to use a redirect

5. digitalmelon

digitalmelon Guest

You know Kayman thats a darn good idea! And so simple...I don't know why I didn't think of that. Sometimes it just takes a fresh pair of eyes. Thanks for your help man!

6. digitalmelon

digitalmelon Guest

Crap Khayman! Now I remember why I couldn't do that. I need to use Application.Lock in order to not allow anyone else to write to the database before I get the ID number. I am going to attach the asp file that the form goes to for you to have a look at. Keep in mind that all the coding in the asp file is not complete.

Here is the form action: <form name="form" method="post" action="register.asp?regstep=1">

Also, each forms action points to register.asp and depending on the form register.asp handles it in a different way. Have a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks.

7. Khayman

no attachment

8. aScoundral

aScoundral Guest

why dont you just write a sub query that dumps the ID number into your forms' textbox/label automatically based on the personal info they provided? OR since it's autonumber, just grab the last record out of the database...

9. digitalmelon

digitalmelon Guest

Here is what I ended up doing:

<%
    dim rs
    dim sql2
    Application.Lock
    conn.execute SQL
    Set rs = Server.Createobject("ADODB.Recordset")
    SQL2 = "SELECT * FROM DELEGATE"
    rs.open SQL2,conn,3,3
    rs.movelast
    ID = rs("ID")
    rs.close
    set rs=nothing
    Application.Unlock
    %>

Worked perfectly!