[Article] Three Steps to a New, Improved Microsoft!

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by muzikool, Sep 15, 2006.

1. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I've subscribed to PC Magazine for years and will read PC World on occassion. I happened to pick up PC World this month and was pretty surprised by this article by Stephen Manes, PC World Contributing Editor and co-host of the TV show Digital Duo.

I realize that thousands of "Microsoft-bashing" articles exist online and in blogs, but I was surprised to find something so blunt in PC World in print. There's no limit to the amount of content online, but the pages of a magazine are strictly limited, and I'm not sure I've ever seen such a harsh article directed at Microsoft in either magazine. I wonder what Stephen did to get this in the magazine.

Complete Article:

tdinc likes this.
  2. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Wow, Ouch.

Good read though, I saw that in the same mag the other day which I subscribe to :)

3. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

jeez, i wonder if someone missed that article in the editing room.

4. bush dogg

bush dogg OSNN Senior Addict Political User

Somebody’s Pissed…I would like to have been a fly on the wall when this person had the problems that prompted this article “I bet that was a funny site”. :laugh:

5. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

About goddamn time that magazines publish the truth. Yes it is harsh, but it might actually do Microsoft some good. If Apple comes out with something that is not working properly the bad press is much higher than for Microsoft.

I do tend to agree with what was stated in the article, and fully support the fact that it was published in a PC magazine that professionals read. I just wish sites like Mini MSFT got more press as well.

Microsoft could be a lean mean fighting machine (that rhymes), however to date they have not shown they are willing to change and accept that.

As for the harshness and what he had to do to get it into the magazine? First off, i'd say write it. And that article definitely was checked by an editor. Every PC Magazine every so often needs a SHOCK article to get more attention. Did it grab your attention? Yes, then the article has achieved it's intended audience.

Me personally am surprised thinking about it now, the years I have been subscribed to tons of magazines have indeed never seen such an article. However when we go over to the competition, Apple, there are tons of really bad articles, especially when Apple does something wrong, or an update does not work as intended. I think bad press is good for a company, and that a company should listen to complaints to then make their software even better.

muzikool likes this.