Argggh. Problem with torch searching for drives in my computer

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by pgachapman, Dec 19, 2004.

1. pgachapman

pgachapman OSNN One Post Wonder

Hi there. My Toshiba laptop is running Win XP Media Centre Edition and has recently been formatted. It is running very well with the exception of the fact that every time I click my computer the little torch comes up searching for the drives and takes approx a minute to find anything and then all the drives come up.

Why does this happen?

If anyone knows please help.

Thanks

Peter

2. brocher

brocher Moderator

It may be that it is looking for a floppy drive or any usb sticks that may have been used at some point. if you are not using them try disabling them.

3. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

It will do this too if you have a cd/dvd in the drive.

4. suicide_pact

suicide_pact ---pro a.v. geek

Maybe a network drive???

5. pgachapman

pgachapman OSNN One Post Wonder

how do i get rid of any old usb pens on the system ?:)

6. RickyC

RickyC OSNN Addict

Before you remove any removable device, you have to let windows know you are going to remove it so it can shut power down from the device and properly dismount the device. Do this by clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the systray and selecting the device to stop it. This will prevent damage to USB pen drives especially. If you can't see your device, try right clicking on it in 'My Computer' and disconnect it.

Windows is notoriously bad when dealing with hard to read CD's, floppy disks etc, as said above, try disabling or removing any devices not in use to see if that helps.