are there any tools like patchxp ot get rid of msn messenger (old one)?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by SaintKaden, Dec 16, 2002.

1. SaintKaden

SaintKaden Guest

are there any tools like patchxp ot get rid of msn messenger (the old one)?

I read along time ago hoe to disable it or something but the steps where too many and I was wondering if someone's made an app or some sort of batch script that can simplify the process...

if not, could I please get those instructions, thak you! ;)

2. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

yes there is. There is a handy vbs-script that will remove the old messenger. I dont have it here since im at school, but as sson as i get home i will post it here :)

3. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

The easiest solution I've found is to navigate to the X:\Program Files\Messenger folder and renaming the msmsg.exe file to msmsgoff.exe. This way it's still there if I ever do want to use it, and it doesn't cause problems with Outlook Express (OE actually starts faster). I've removed it before and it really messed with OE a lot.

4. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

the vbs-script will not slow down Outlook XP. Since ht script will fix this problem 2. Check the attachment :)

5. losmilos

losmilos Guest

the fastest and easiest way to get rid of MSN Messenger 4.xx is to do this:

Start--->run----> copy and paste this----> RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

this wil remove Messenger from your PC

I have done it on my PC and it has no adverse effect on OE, at least noone that i have encountered