Are the drivers from windowws update safe to use ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dark Atheist, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

i downloaded and installed the latest nforce software for my board yesterday and when i went to windows update its saying there is an updated sata driver for my board, having had some bad experiences with drivers from windows update in the past i am not sure if i should take the plunge or leave it as things seem to be going along ok

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

If they are for vista, I have never had problems updaing my sata drivers on there with windows update.

3. Dark Atheist

soon find out :)

edit: so far so good :p

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  4. Electronic Punk

Oh and they are infact newer than the ones that NVIDIA have released themselves - even fixed an issue I was having with the drives spinning down at bad moments or causing hangs on shutdown.

5. Dark Atheist

:) seems a-ok here atm (touch wood) nforce drivers i got were 15.01 which were the only ones for the board, and i know they do get updated drivers from manufactors i was just not sure about them, as i said i had a bad expirence once with an MS driver

6. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

the windows drivers are fine but don't expect them to always be the newest best thing out there...the safest way to check on drivers is to look at the manufacturer's website (not the motherboard manufacturer, but the chipset manufacturer) they usually have the newest and best drivers out there.

7. Dark Atheist

i installed the lastest drivers from nvidia site, and win update claimed to have newer, unless they have used files from the sli 6 series of boards, mine is series five, so far all seems to be going along fine without issue

8. Electronic Punk

I generally don't expect windows update ones to be newer, but they have been in this case.