Are games gettin old?

Originally posted by coathanger007
You must be an older generation gamer then - graphics = the future. You can have the best gameplay but if you're still using Wolfenstein 3D graphics = drop dead BORING :)

The best games are the innovative ones not the ones pushing the most polygons. Its also your pref. I agree that its a factor it can make a good game better. But it won't help a bad game be better, and it won't make a good game worse. Unreal 2 would be a good example best looking game for pc right now. also bland has a weak story and brings nothing new to the genre. So all it has is??? pretty graphics, and yat that didn't help it at all :)

The best games have never been because of graphics (well, maybe some...). Gameplay is much more important.

Conclusion: Need a balanced mixture of both - one struggles without the other. New games these days are just more of the same - ZZZzzzzz :)

You must be an older generation gamer then - graphics = the future. You can have the best gameplay but if you're still using Wolfenstein 3D graphics = drop dead BORING :)

Nope, I'm not. I'm only 16 years old. I grew up on the Sega Genesis, playing Sonic games :D

I meant that games are fun because people can do stuf they can't in real life, and because they can do stuff that does not require a lot of physical involvement. Do you really want a shooter indistinguishable from real life? One where you blood, wounds, indistinguishable from real life? One where you can experience the pain? I wouldn't. Krux has a great example of what I meant, great graphics do not always equal fun. You need the gameplay too.

Not all games would be appropriate for my imaginary environment - else we'd end up with lunatics running around like headless chickens in senseless killing sprees (as we've seen, we don't even need photorealism for that).:(

the best games where the old games, like the orginal nintendo lol. I miss the old days.

Anyone remember Commander Keen? That was sik. And the graphics werent that bad either.

I think a lot of the problems are that it is very difficult to move forward and still maintain the frenetic pace required to keep the gaming industry economical. As such, most console games are turning into crap, with a few still arising interest--but most of them still seeming "compromised."

I bought Final Fantasy X, for instance, and, with this being the first FF game I've played since SNES' FF III (that's VI in Japan). I'm literally horrified as to how easy the game is, not to mention the fact that it is mostly a *movie,* not a game. Sure, Square Enix really outdid themselves on the beauty and the story development of it, but, in the process, I spend 4/5 of the time watching cinematics.

I certainly am not one to believe that graphics, in themselves, are bad, but I think it is now getting to a point where these developers are spending way too much of their resources on making the game look pretty and not nearly enough on the game. Then, in turn, it takes them a ridiculously long time to make a game, and, in the interim, to remain profitable, these consoles end up churning out lots of "cheap" games that are terribly repetitive.

Perhaps actually wanting a *game* makes me old I guess...

Melon

Or the original Duke Nukem....

I still have it, along with Duke 2 and 3. ;)

Melon

games these days required you have a super computer to play, i just cant keep up and also dont wanna blow all my money on a upgrading all the time. I'll stick to cs even tho its not top notch graphic, but its fun.

Yes and no - many games today are boring because they have already been made, they are just clones..

For example: Why make a game like Halo for PC when Unreal II exists? Unreal II has much better graphics and playability...

Bungie took a step backwards with Halo for PC...

Most games only last 10-20 hours... Like most FPS.. You don't want to play a game once again once you are through the whole game...

To make a game replayable, you have to make something that challange the gamers... Like beeting your previous highscore...

For example Tetris... Easy to learn but it takes a master to conquer...

Different types of managementgames are also good.. My favorite is Total Club Manager... When you play it you always want to improve your team and finish 1st in the league and in the cups...

Half-Life 2 is looking pretty innovative.. So let's hope it will be that good and not one of the crowd...

Halo kicks Unreal II's ass anyday. They practically ripped off Halo in the multiplayer for Unreal II.

Not sure about games getting old. I play starcraft at least once a day and I still love it. even if you guys think it sucks

P.S. halo kicks @$$

Personally, the games themselves are getting better. Better graphics, better sound, more features, but the storylines are getting thinner, and weaker...

Sure, I went out and bought Max Payne 2. It's got great graphics and sound, but the storyline was weak, and I beat it in less then 9 hours. Probably much less then that if I actually timed myself. I loved the game until I realized it was over... But that's how games are becoming. They are becoming easier also because we are starting to become more intuitive about how to do things in a game. At first, when games were advancing to such features as being able to jump or jump and do an action, or maybe some secret that you had to discover by moving something, these were all new and amazing things that made you feel like a rocket scientist. But since then, games all have those things, and we can key in on them more easily now. Making the games less of a "new" thing. There's too many variables for me to list. Other then games need to evolve more to become more appealing.

I'm looking forward to Dues Ex 2, and Half Life 2, Half life 2 because of the massive interaction with everything in the game, as well as the graphics. Dues Ex 2 because I just liked the first one. Also there's a game called Stalker which I saw a trailer for which I really liked. And lastly.... Worms 3D. Cause I'm a huge fan of the whole Worms series.

Originally posted by ShepsCrook
Also there's a game called Stalker which I saw a trailer for which I really liked.

I agree... was going to (and still might) start a fansite type situation for it with a few buds o' mine... if no one has seen this game yet, I really suggest people look into it. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Oblivion Lost runs on an in house engine called X-Ray, which has some pretty crazy integrated physics

also whats cool is the community aspect of the game - its not just a shoot 'em up free for all, run through a crazy nuclear plant... you can join different "clans" of stalkers, and between the clans are other rivalries and crap. good stuff, check it out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back