Are games gettin old?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by _DM_, Sep 27, 2003.

1. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

Hey Im just here to ask everyones opinions. Are games gettin to boring? Cause like, the only games i play are D2,a nd counter-strike even though i have alot fo games including Ps2,a nd gamecube. What do you guys think?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

I'm getting old. :( Playing games literally makes me sick. O the shame. :( :(

3. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Re: Are games getting old?

Yes, they are. I gave them up and now explore the deep, dark, shadowy crevices of the XP registry.

4. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I got that way for a while, then I realized that all I was doing was playing the same kinds of games over and over.

I've been having a gaming renaissance lately. Been branching into strategy, adventure, sports--anything I can get my hands on. Things that never interested me before are now irresistible. I go to Electronics Boutique and GoGamer.com and buy cheap little five-to-ten-dollar games that are a sheer joy to play.

5. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

no just you :)

6. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

I dont think its that there getting boring but the fact of what people are doing these days. I find more and more kids are chillin with friends and doing school crap or anything else instead of Video games. Myself, just got bored of things like Ps2,gamecude because I was interesting in computers. After I got into computers, of course I starting playing all my old games and new ones on the computer. I think alot of people are playing more games on computer than other systems. Besides that, yea there getting/gotten boring or just less thought off.

7. lechtard

lechtard Guest

I have all the Tom Clancy games. I only played maybe three of them, the rest I never even installed .. So yes they are getting old ...

8. lieb39

lieb39 Apple lover, PC User

Yes. No games can entertain me anymore, now its all about going out with friends, and manging my 2 websites and my server. Thats hard enough, and if I have time, talk to people on IM. But games? Not really.

-lieb39

9. lechtard

lechtard Guest

I don't really feel PC's are for games anyhow ...

10. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

why not?? There are alot of good games for the computer, its just a bit newer for pc thats all.

11. lieb39

lieb39 Apple lover, PC User

Depends. They are sometimes more powerful than game consoles, higher resolution, etc. and can support most of the hardware (PS2 controller, etc) however, its just easier to sit down on the couch and play a game, rather than be in a computer chair, being upright and stuff... on the other hand, what were pc's made for? Work and stuff, never thought of games. I personally use my 3 systems for work/school more than gaming, but that's just me. ;)

-lieb39

12. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Deus Ex 2
    Half-Life 2
    Doom 3
    (Quake4?)
    Halo

Those are the only games I am really looking forward to, off the top of my head... I may even be too busy for games one day.

Got the addon for generals yesterday, not had the chance to install it yet :S

13. Mubbers

Mubbers Shoot! Political User

Re: Re: Are games getting old?

Too right the best game I got was a fully legit copy of XPP, now I can mess and wreck to my hearts content... :D

14. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Here's just a small list of games I am really looking forward too:

Halo 2
    Project Gotham Racing 2
    Amped 2
    XII
    Beyong Good and Evil
    Need for Speed: Underground
    Ture Crime
    Rallysport Challenge 2
    Dues Ex 2
    Half Life 2
    Doom 3
    Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
    Starcraft Ghost
    Prince of Persia
    SSX 3
    Grabbed by the Ghoulies
    Ninja Gaiden

So, to answer your question: NO.

Games are getting better and more fun by the day. However, I do see a trend were games are being tailored more and more for the 'casual' gamer. Thus, they are being made more and more for the mass market, and one of the biggest supporters of this is EA, the largest third party game publisher in the world. So what your going to see is, that game developers are not going to try to make new and innovative games, but games that are going to make them money, and after all they are in the games business just to do that.

But, that means we are going to get a lot of clones in the near future. The only way developers can now make new and innovative games is if they first make a clone, and if it sells well, THEN only can they experiment. What that means is that for people like us -the gamers- is that we might have to face a lot of GTA clones :S

15. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

In the future games will be a whole new virtual experience. None of his primitive looking into monitor nonsense. People will be immersed in a virtual experience where you can feel the heat of a laser run through or the smell of each individual flower in the truly photorealistic natural environment which you can touch and feel with heightened senses. Ones entire physical being will be involved in realtime movement and ones performance will be affected by actual stamina in addition mental capabilities....for all we know computer gaming could end up in the Olympics and wars will be settled in the cyber realms of virtual reality...DARE TO DREAM :)

16. NerdUprising

NerdUprising [ Method ]

way to lay it on, brotha. I agree entirely

17. coathanger007

Now that I've though about it - life is just one big computer game. In the end two converge to become one - and equilibrium will be restored to the world. :)

18. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Well, realism does not always = fun.

19. coathanger007

You must be an older generation gamer then - graphics = the future. You can have the best gameplay but if you're still using Wolfenstein 3D graphics = drop dead BORING :)

20. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

aren't you the same one who said computers are dead in this thread?? :rolleyes:
    http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=350150#post350150